Check out this week’s featured specimen!
(Pictured below, really close up!)
Photo: N. Sincero © California Academy of Sciences.
Can you guess what it is? Here are some hints:
- This animal migrates over 3,000 miles each year.
- It’s an excellent swimmer.
Leave us a comment with your answer! Then come see us in the Classroom on Sunday, Dec. 11 at 2:30 pm for Science Story Adventures to see if you’re right and to learn more about this animal. Science Story Adventures is our program for children ages 4 – 8 and their caregivers. In the program, we explore the natural world through stories, specimens, games and crafts.
Photo: Friedrich Böhringer.
Click here for the Winter Plants online handout.
Each week in the Naturalist Center, we take elementary school-aged children on Science Story Adventures. We look at a different theme connected with the natural world and the exhibits in the Academy, and explore it through stories, activities and crafts.
Now you can continue your adventure at home with this online handout. It includes the planned learning outcomes of the Science Story Adventure, which are usually drawn from the Science Content Standards for California Public Schools. Can’t remember the title of the books we read or how to do that craft? It’s on the sheet. We’ve also included a list of resources – books, DVDs or websites – for further exploration.
In celebration of ‘Tis the Season for Science, we invite you to explore festive winter-themed programs and activities at the Academy’s Naturalist Center, located on Level 3:
• Enjoy our games, puzzles and coloring sheets.
• Play ‘Tis the Season Scavenger Hunt.
• Explore some of the delicious holiday aromas that come from the rainforest at the Naturalist Nook.
• Peruse our many books and DVDs. Have an up-close experience with specimens.
• Fridays 11:30 am: Specimen Spotlight with a focus on how different animals are adapted to cold weather in front of the Project Lab.
• Sundays 2:30 pm: Science Story Adventures in the 3rd floor classroom.
• Participate in our self-guided holiday craft activities every Friday and Saturday:
Dec. 2-3 Make an Evergreen Pin
Stay tuned for next week’s craft!