The Academy’s mission is to explore, explain, and sustain life. Founded in 1853 as the first scientific institution in the Western United States, the Academy has survived and thrived through the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
The Academy is the world’s first “Double Platinum” museum, the highest rating in the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) system.
With more than a million visitors per year, the Academy is part of San Francisco’s rich cultural fabric and is a world-class scientific and educational institution.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a work environment that values diversity, innovation and ingenuity regardless of race, color, religion, ethnicity, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, political affiliation, disability or health status.
The California Academy of Sciences complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide for them accordingly.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. Smoking is also not allowed in Golden Gate Park.
For details on our current job openings and to apply, please click on the position title.
The Academy aspires to make employment a source of great personal and professional satisfaction and create a respectful workplace where every individual has the opportunity to reach his or her highest potential.
- Attend Academy 101, an exciting and interactive week-long orientation program where employees learn all about the Academy past, present and future and get a multi-faceted view of the organization through behind the scenes tours and engaging activities.
- Build your leadership skills with regular in-house trainings on managing and developing others, professional presentations, strategic planning, business writing, conflict management and more.
- Keep your computer skills sharp with employer-paid software training at LearnIt.
- Achieve customer service excellence through the Academy’s Platinum Service Skills training.
- Stay abreast of the latest scientific discoveries by attending lectures by Academy and visiting scientists.
- Enjoy a wide range of interesting and entertaining topics at Academy Brown Bags.
- Enhance your work/life experience with monthly Claremont EAP presentations on an array of topics related to career and wellbeing.
- Join a staff-run group such as Green Team, Staff Advisory Council, and Toastmasters for rewarding opportunities for Academy community involvement.
The California Academy of Sciences recognizes the tremendous value of our dedicated staff and offers a competitive comprehensive benefits and wellness program to support and reward employees.
For full-time employees (30-40hrs/week), the Academy offers the following benefits:
Part-time employees (20 - 29 hrs/week) are eligible for the benefits above, with the exception of dental and life insurance. For the medical plans, part time employees and share more of cost.
- Academy Family Membership (full-time employees)
- Academy Comp Tickets — General Admission & NightLife
- Discounts on Academy tickets — General Admission, Platinum Tours, NightLife, and NightLife VIP Tours
- Museum Reciprocal Admission Program — for many Bay Area museums as well as institutions belonging to the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) and the Association of Science & Technology Centers (ASTC).
- Discount at the Academy Stores
- Discount at Academy Café and the Moss Room
- Discount on AMC Movie tickets
- Discount on Kirkwood Ski Resort lift tickets
- Savings on Sprint Services
- Discounts at Inner Sunset and other local businesses such as Pacific Catch, Nopalito, Sunset Stationers, Sports Basement Sunset Gym, Gold’s Gym, Yoga Works, Studio Mix , Beautifull, and more
- On-site acupressure chair massage (employee paid)
- On-site yoga classes (employee paid)