Friends of the Academy
By joining the Friends of the Academy, you have the opportunity to inspire explorers of all ages, get closer to the scientists and their discoveries, and become a leader in a community of lifelong learners. The deeper your engagement, the closer you get – and the bigger your impact.
- Unlimited admission for yourself, your children or grandchildren (18 years of age and under), and two guests
- Priority entrance to the museum, rainforest, and planetarium
- A complimentary glass of champagne when dining at The Moss Room*
- Eight guest passes to share with friends and family members
- Four NightLife guest passes**
- Annual Friends behind-the-scenes tour***
- Invitation to special events and receptions for Friends of the Academy
- Dedicated Friends assistance line
Value of goods and services: $130
Includes all Explorers benefits, plus:
- Annual exclusive curator-led tour
- Invitation to an exclusive reception prior to a Herbst lecture with a featured speaker
Value of goods and services: $220
Includes all Curators benefits, plus:
- Exclusive evening reception and tour with the Executive Director
- Invitation to a private luncheon with an Academy scientist
Value of goods and services: $270
Starting at the Collectors level, generous donors who make gifts of $10,000 or more play a leadership role for the Academy and enjoy many unique opportunities and privileges as members of our Platinum Circle. If you would like to learn more about how you can have a transformative impact on the future of the Academy, please contact Doria Leong, Director of Leadership Gifts, at (415) 379-5407 or
Friends of the Academy Terms and Conditions
What Your Gift Supports
The Annual Fund keeps the lights on and the penguins fed. It also enables a wide range of ongoing activities, from reaching out to public schools and children to supporting groundbreaking research that’s advancing scientific discovery.
From the Director
“The Academy provides a world-class stage for scientific education, inspiration, and discovery. Your gift to the Academy’s annual fund will provide unrestricted operating support to ensure that its exhibits, educational programs, and research are among the best in class.”
Dr. Gregory C. Farrington
Executive Director and
William R. and Gretchen B. Kimball Chair
California Academy of Sciences
Our dedicated team of educators delivers a wide variety of formal education programs, including the Teacher Institute on Science and Sustainability, the Careers in Science intern program, the BioForum continuing education series, and a number of other teacher and student services. From programs with California school kids to thought-provoking lectures, the Academy promotes science awareness and lifelong learning for children of all ages.
Your gift ensures that Academy scientists around the world can continue to seek out new species and pioneer new perspectives beyond the planet. Research at the California Academy of Sciences aims to discover new knowledge about life’s diversity. There is a new urgency to gaining knowledge of the natural world, as awareness grows that organisms and species are key components of the ecosystems which provide our food, water, shelter and energy. The generosity of our donors brings our mission to life – for that, the Academy is deeply grateful.
From the giant turtles, venomous snakes, and our albino alligator named Claude, all the animals at the Academy require special care.
The aquatic biologists of the Steinhart Aquarium are responsible for the health, feeding, reproduction, safety, and comfort of more than
38,000 live animals.
Eastwood Associates are people of vision. By thinking ahead to the future, they enable the Academy to explore, explain, and sustain life for generations to come.
Planned Giving Tools
Enter our planned giving website to learn about Academy gift and estate planning. New articles are added each month.
The Eastwood Associates are a community of philanthropists whose planned gifts will endow the Academy and sustain its important mission in the future. Membership is a lifetime privilege and Eastwood Associates are honored at special gatherings each year. This distinguished group was named after Alice Eastwood, the Academy’s celebrated curator of botany from 1894 to 1949. When she died in 1953, at the age of 94, she left the Academy her extensive collection of botanical publications, which scientists and students continue to use.
Secure the Future
Planned gifts play a key role in tomorrow's science — and in the future of our planet — by endowing the Academy with the resources to continue its mission. They fund chairs and fellowships that advance important biodiversity research around the globe. They support eye-opening exhibits and innovative educational programs that cultivate science literacy and train future scientists. Most important, planned gifts are a lasting tribute to their donors, honoring a lifelong commitment to science, discovery, and sharing the natural world with others.
Plan the Gift of a Lifetime
A planned gift enables you to have a profound impact on future generations and may help you make a larger gift than you thought possible. There are many ways to create your legacy—from making the Academy a beneficiary in your will or retirement plan to making gifts that provide you with lifetime income. We can help you customize a plan that meets your philanthropic and financial goals.
Besides supporting the Academy, planned gifts can offer donors compelling benefits:
- Retain or increase your income
- Deduct part of your gift as an immediate charitable contribution
- Avoid or reduce capital-gains taxes
- Memorialize a lifetime commitment to the Academy
- Know that the assets you built over a lifetime will be managed by an historic institution with a record of careful stewardship
Already included the Academy in your plans or want to learn more?
Discover the Connection
If respect for the natural world is a value your company shares, discover your connection to the California Academy of Sciences. As a Corporate Partner, you can advance biodiversity research, support science education, and model sustainability while enjoying access to the most amazing, green museum on the planet.
Your Support Makes a Difference
Explore, explain, and protect the natural world: That’s what the Academy was designed to do. As a dynamic classroom,
the Academy immerses visitors in a one-of-a-kind living museum. Behind the scenes and in biodiversity hotspots around
the globe, Academy researchers are making discoveries that deepen our understanding of the natural world.
Corporate Partners help make it possible and leverage our power to make a difference.
Inspire the Next Generation
Since September 2008, the new Academy has welcomed more than five million guests from across the Bay Area and around the world,
and thousands more visit every day. Each year, more than half a million children visit the Academy, often on school field trips
that make a vital contribution to their science education and awareness. Professional development programs reach out to science
teachers. Internship programs inspire tomorrow’s scientists. At the Academy, you have an educational partner with real impact.
Choose Your Level of Support
Whatever your company profile, you’ll find an opportunity to advance the Academy’s mission – and enjoy the benefits
of a closer connection. As a Corporate Partner, you can enjoy the unique privileges of Complimentary Family Plus Memberships and
guest passes, special events, private tours, and company recognition. And the deeper your commitment, the closer you get.
Download the brochure for more information
Corporate sponsorships are also available. Contact the Academy to see how we can assist your company with aligning the
appropriate sponsorship to meet your goals.
- 11th Street Auto Repair
- Able Services
- ACCO Engineered Systems
- Aera Energy LLC
- Alice Phelan Sullivan Corporation
- American Securities
- Animal Emergency Services & Animal Internal Medicine and Specialty Services
- Animation on Display
- Argo Insurance Brokers
- Asset Management Company
- Bartlett Tree Expert Co.
- Bay Staffing Solutions, LLC
- Blackhawk Niners
- Capital Group
- Carmel Partners
- CCI Commercial Construction & Improvements, Inc.
- Degenkolb Engineers
- Dodge & Cox
- Eastdil Secured
- Eighth Street Wineries
- Evergreen Mortuary of McAvoy O’Hara Company
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Franklin Templeton Investments
- Hawken Construction
- HBD STP - Investimentos Turísticos, Unipessoal, Lda.
- Health Net
- HFO Investment Real Estate
- House of Air
- IBM Corporation
- Integrated Archive Systems, Inc.
- Jobsite Stud Welding
- Dr. Jordan L. Shlain, Private Medical Services
- JPMorgan Chase Foundation
- King American Ambulance Company
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- KPMG LLP
- Kwan Wo Ironworks, Inc.
- La Bonne Cuisine Catering and Events
- Landis Communications, Inc.
- Loomis, Sayles & Company, L.P.
- McKinsey & Company, Inc.
- Meyer Sound
- Mihalovich Partners
- The Morrison & Foerster Foundation
- NWK Group
- Occidental of Elk Hills Non Unit
- The Olympic Club
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Pacific Life Foundation
- Pacific Stair Corporation
- Patxi’s Pizza
- Pearson Charitable Foundation
- Prime Finance
- Rebarber Enterprises
- Res-Com Insulation, Inc
- Rosendin Electric, Inc.
- RT Western Maintenance, Inc.
- Safeway Inc.
- Sageview Capital LP
- Sao Tome E Principe Union Prom
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Stewart Consulting Group
- Summit Partners
- The Swig Company, LLC
- Table Rock Gun Club
- Union Bank Foundation
- Valley Anatomical Preparations, Inc.
- ValleyCrest Landscape Development
- Vector Laboratories, Inc.
- Visa Inc.
- Webcor Builders
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Wells Fargo Foundation
- Willis Lease Finance Corporation
- Blue Angel Vodka
- The Bubble Lounge
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, BOEM Pacific Region
- Caldwell Vineyard
- Clif Kid
- Cornerstone Cellars
- Double Rainbow Gourmet Ice Cream
- Francis Ford Coppola Winery
- Ghirardelli Chocolates
- Google Inc.
- Green Barrel Wine Merchants
- Hafner Vineyard
- KFOG Radio
- Magnolia Photo Booth
- Morton Salt
- Oceanic USA & Hollis
- Peekadoodle Kidsclub
- Plum Organics
- Pop Chips
- Rodney Strong Vineyards
- Safeway Inc.
- San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
- Spellbound Wines
- Ten Speed Press
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- Trader Joe’s
- Trumer Pils
- William Colby Memorial Library
Annual Fund, Event, and In-Kind Contributions: January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013