Friends of the Academy
All Associates’ benefits, plus:
- Free admission for two primary cardholders, up to two adult guests per card, and your children or grandchildren (17 years of age and younger) for one year
- Priority entrance to the museum, rainforest, planetarium and select special exhibits
- Complimentary admission to NightLife every Thursday evening
- Four daily admission passes and four Nightlife passes to share
- Two Friends Behind-the-Scenes tour passes
- Invitations to year-round special events and receptions exclusive to Friends of the Academy
- A complimentary glass of champagne when dining at the Moss Room restaurant
- Complimentary coat check with each visit
- Dedicated concierge telephone line
- Recognition in the Academy’s Annual Report
- Subscription to the monthly Donor e-Newsletter
$870 is tax deductible
All Explorers’ benefits, plus:
- Friends collection tours with our collection manager - offered semi-annually
- Expedited entry to the Early Explorers Cove (activity area for children 0-5 years and their adult chaperones)
- Access to the Academy’s exclusive donor lounge
- Two passes to attend a NightLife VIP tour
- Two additional daily admission passes to share (6 total)
- Four 1-hour complimentary parking vouchers for the Music Concourse Parking Facility
- Invitation to a private reception prior to a lecture
$2,221 is tax deductible
All Curators’ benefits, plus:
- Invitation to the annual Academy dinner
- Academy scientist presentation at your school’s career day or science fair
- A complimentary card for your household caregiver
- Two additional daily admission passes to share (8 total)
- Two additional 1-hour complimentary parking vouchers for the Music Concourse Parking Facility (6 hours total)
$4,671 is tax deductible
Starting at the Collectors level, generous donors who make gifts of $10,000 or more play a leadership role for the Academy and enjoy many unique opportunities and privileges as members of our Platinum Circle. If you would like to learn more about how you can have a transformative impact on the future of the Academy, please contact Andi Forker, Associate Director, Leadership Gifts, at (415) 379-5404 or
All Scientists benefits, plus:
- Two all-day parking passes in the Music Concourse Parking Facility
- Exclusive access to a dedicated concierge who will plan experiences at the Academy tailored to your interests
- Invitations to explore Northern California with the Academy on “Local Expeditions” about science and sustainability
- Invitation to an exclusive dinner with scientists, environmental leaders, and prominent speakers
- Discounts on renting the Academy for your own private event
- Priority invitations to Academy Gala events
Value of goods and services: $449
All Collectors benefits, plus:
- Two additional all-day parking passes in the Music Concourse Parking Facility
- A dedicated concierge at the Academy who will work with you to achieve your philanthropic goals
- Experiences that make the impact of your gift tangible, including customized visits where you can see the students, visitors, and programs that benefit from your generosity
- Experiences that are tailored to your interests such as behind-the-scenes tours or local nature outings with scientists and educators
- Assistance in finding hands-on volunteer opportunities for your family at the Academy
- The opportunity to travel nationally and internationally with Academy scientists and donors to locations of ecological importance
- The opportunity to have a private luncheon with the Academy’s Executive Director
- The opportunity to meet with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees to talk about Academy projects and plans that are of interest to you
- Donation of Academy admission, lecture, and event tickets to two charity auctions of your choice
Value of goods and services: $549
All Ecologists benefits, plus:
- A benefits package completely tailored to your interests, including scientific gifts and publications
- The opportunity to use the Academy’s Board Room, free of charge, for one personal or business event
- The opportunity for an Academy scientist, educator, or specialist to speak at your private event
Value of goods and services: $699
All Conservationists benefits, plus:
- The opportunity to receive named recognition on an Academy program or exhibition of your choice
Value of goods and services: $699
Friends of the Academy Terms and Conditions
What Your Gift Supports
The Annual Fund keeps the lights on and the penguins fed. It also enables a wide range of ongoing activities, from reaching out to public schools and children to supporting groundbreaking research that’s advancing scientific discovery.
From the Director
“The Academy provides a world-class stage for scientific education, inspiration, and discovery. Your gift to the Academy’s annual fund will provide unrestricted operating support to ensure that its exhibits, educational programs, and research are among the best in class.”
Dr. Gregory C. Farrington
Executive Director and
William R. and Gretchen B. Kimball Chair
California Academy of Sciences
Our dedicated team of educators delivers a wide variety of formal education programs, including the Teacher Institute on Science and Sustainability, the Careers in Science intern program, the BioForum continuing education series, and a number of other teacher and student services. From programs with California school kids to thought-provoking lectures, the Academy promotes science awareness and lifelong learning for children of all ages.
Your gift ensures that Academy scientists around the world can continue to seek out new species and pioneer new perspectives beyond the planet. Research at the California Academy of Sciences aims to discover new knowledge about life’s diversity. There is a new urgency to gaining knowledge of the natural world, as awareness grows that organisms and species are key components of the ecosystems which provide our food, water, shelter and energy. The generosity of our donors brings our mission to life – for that, the Academy is deeply grateful.
From the giant turtles, venomous snakes, and our albino alligator named Claude, all the animals at the Academy require special care.
The aquatic biologists of the Steinhart Aquarium are responsible for the health, feeding, reproduction, safety, and comfort of more than
38,000 live animals.
Eastwood Associates are people of vision. By thinking ahead to the future, they enable the Academy to explore, explain, and sustain life for generations to come.
Planned Giving Tools
Enter our planned giving website to learn about Academy gift and estate planning. New articles are added each month.
The Eastwood Associates are a community of philanthropists whose planned gifts will endow the Academy and sustain its important mission in the future. Membership is a lifetime privilege and Eastwood Associates are honored at special gatherings each year. This distinguished group was named after Alice Eastwood, the Academy’s celebrated curator of botany from 1894 to 1949. When she died in 1953, at the age of 94, she left the Academy her extensive collection of botanical publications, which scientists and students continue to use.
Secure the Future
Planned gifts play a key role in tomorrow's science — and in the future of our planet — by endowing the Academy with the resources to continue its mission. They fund chairs and fellowships that advance important biodiversity research around the globe. They support eye-opening exhibits and innovative educational programs that cultivate science literacy and train future scientists. Most important, planned gifts are a lasting tribute to their donors, honoring a lifelong commitment to science, discovery, and sharing the natural world with others.
Plan the Gift of a Lifetime
A planned gift enables you to have a profound impact on future generations and may help you make a larger gift than you thought possible. There are many ways to create your legacy—from making the Academy a beneficiary in your will or retirement plan to making gifts that provide you with lifetime income. We can help you customize a plan that meets your philanthropic and financial goals.
Besides supporting the Academy, planned gifts can offer donors compelling benefits:
- Retain or increase your income
- Deduct part of your gift as an immediate charitable contribution
- Avoid or reduce capital-gains taxes
- Memorialize a lifetime commitment to the Academy
- Know that the assets you built over a lifetime will be managed by an historic institution with a record of careful stewardship
Already included the Academy in your plans or want to learn more?
Discover the Connection
If respect for the natural world is a value your company shares, discover your connection to the California Academy of Sciences. As a Corporate Partner, you can advance biodiversity research, support science education, and model sustainability while enjoying access to the most amazing, green museum on the planet.
Your Support Makes a Difference
Explore, explain, and protect the natural world: That’s what the Academy was designed to do. As a dynamic classroom,
the Academy immerses visitors in a one-of-a-kind living museum. Behind the scenes and in biodiversity hotspots around
the globe, Academy researchers are making discoveries that deepen our understanding of the natural world.
Corporate Partners help make it possible and leverage our power to make a difference.
Inspire the Next Generation
Since September 2008, the new Academy has welcomed more than five million guests from across the Bay Area and around the world,
and thousands more visit every day. Each year, more than half a million children visit the Academy, often on school field trips
that make a vital contribution to their science education and awareness. Professional development programs reach out to science
teachers. Internship programs inspire tomorrow’s scientists. At the Academy, you have an educational partner with real impact.
Choose Your Level of Support
Whatever your company profile, you’ll find an opportunity to advance the Academy’s mission – and enjoy the benefits
of a closer connection. As a Corporate Partner, you can enjoy the unique privileges of Complimentary Family Plus Memberships and
guest passes, special events, private tours, and company recognition. And the deeper your commitment, the closer you get.
Download the brochure for more information
Corporate sponsorships are also available. Contact the Academy to see how we can assist your company with aligning the
appropriate sponsorship to meet your goals.
- 11th Street Auto Repair
- Able Services
- ACCO Engineered Systems
- Aera Energy LLC
- Alice Phelan Sullivan Corporation
- American Securities
- Animal Emergency Services & Animal Internal Medicine and Specialty Services
- Animation on Display
- Argo Insurance Brokers
- Asset Management Company
- Bartlett Tree Expert Co.
- Bay Staffing Solutions, LLC
- Blackhawk Niners
- Capital Group
- Carmel Partners
- CCI Commercial Construction & Improvements, Inc.
- Degenkolb Engineers
- Dodge & Cox
- Eastdil Secured
- Eighth Street Wineries
- Evergreen Mortuary of McAvoy O’Hara Company
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Franklin Templeton Investments
- Hawken Construction
- HBD STP - Investimentos Turísticos, Unipessoal, Lda.
- Health Net
- HFO Investment Real Estate
- House of Air
- IBM Corporation
- Integrated Archive Systems, Inc.
- Jobsite Stud Welding
- Dr. Jordan L. Shlain, Private Medical Services
- JPMorgan Chase Foundation
- King American Ambulance Company
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- KPMG LLP
- Kwan Wo Ironworks, Inc.
- La Bonne Cuisine Catering and Events
- Landis Communications, Inc.
- Loomis, Sayles & Company, L.P.
- McKinsey & Company, Inc.
- Meyer Sound
- Mihalovich Partners
- The Morrison & Foerster Foundation
- NWK Group
- Occidental of Elk Hills Non Unit
- The Olympic Club
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Pacific Life Foundation
- Pacific Stair Corporation
- Patxi’s Pizza
- Pearson Charitable Foundation
- Prime Finance
- Rebarber Enterprises
- Res-Com Insulation, Inc
- Rosendin Electric, Inc.
- RT Western Maintenance, Inc.
- Safeway Inc.
- Sageview Capital LP
- Sao Tome E Principe Union Prom
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Stewart Consulting Group
- Summit Partners
- The Swig Company, LLC
- Table Rock Gun Club
- Union Bank Foundation
- Valley Anatomical Preparations, Inc.
- ValleyCrest Landscape Development
- Vector Laboratories, Inc.
- Visa Inc.
- Webcor Builders
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Wells Fargo Foundation
- Willis Lease Finance Corporation
- Blue Angel Vodka
- The Bubble Lounge
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, BOEM Pacific Region
- Caldwell Vineyard
- Clif Kid
- Cornerstone Cellars
- Double Rainbow Gourmet Ice Cream
- Francis Ford Coppola Winery
- Ghirardelli Chocolates
- Google Inc.
- Green Barrel Wine Merchants
- Hafner Vineyard
- KFOG Radio
- Magnolia Photo Booth
- Morton Salt
- Oceanic USA & Hollis
- Peekadoodle Kidsclub
- Plum Organics
- Pop Chips
- Rodney Strong Vineyards
- Safeway Inc.
- San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
- Spellbound Wines
- Ten Speed Press
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- Trader Joe’s
- Trumer Pils
- William Colby Memorial Library
Annual Fund, Event, and In-Kind Contributions: January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013