55 Music Concourse Dr.

Tuesday

8:30 – 9:30 am

Sunday

10:00 – 11:00 am
Closures
Notices

The Academy will be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

Rainforest will be closed Sep. 9 & 10

September 30, 2010

Antarctic Item 009

This week I resume posting the items I collected in Antarctica for use in my artwork.
All these found and donated objects are grouped under the “Waste Stream Reclama-
tion” category in the blog’s sidebar.

antarctic-item-009-sifta-sam-salt500x499

Today’s item is a weathered Sifta table salt container courtesy of “Crunch” Noring,
the Marble Point camp manager. Found underfoot at his Dry Valleys camp, this dis-
card is a remnant of the pre-Code of Conduct era when littering was common in
Antarctica. The packaging design suggests that the container dates from the 1940s,
when Sifta Salt and the fabulous Sifta Sam character (click the old salt for a close-
up!) were brand names of Palmer Mann and Co. Ltd. of Sandbach, Cheshire, UK.

The company is long defunct and very little information about it exists online, but
image reference indicates that the deteriorated area below Sifta Sam once read
“Jolly Good Salt.” This container is certainly the most delicate item in my collection
of discards. Its flaking label — or what’s left of it — appears to be just barely
hanging on.

Filed under: Items Reclaimed from the Ice — mbartalos @ 11:53 pm

6 Comments »

1. Sifta Sam is a jaunty little fellow, isn’t he? He has quite the goatee! Thanks for sharing, Michael !

Comment by michael wertz — October 7, 2010 @ 7:24 am

2. So interested to see this, as Palmer Mann was founded by my grandfather -John Alexander Palmer, and Sifta Sam was a big part of my growing up! I now collect Sifta memorabilia. My grandfather wrote a book about his life, with details of how the company came about, with my grandmother thinking up the name ‘Sifta’. Good luck with your art work!

Comment by Alison Hazell — May 7, 2011 @ 2:00 am

3. Thanks Alison, I’d love to see the book!

Comment by mbartalos — June 4, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

4. Alex Palmer was my Sunday School teacher. He took me to see Don Bradman in 1948 playing for Australia against England at Old Trafford. He took me to see Everton v Wolves around the same time. In 1913, the year he moved from Liverpool to Sandbach, he founded Elworth Cricket Club where i have been a member for 61 years. I am now President.
    There is a booklet called ‘The Story of Sifta Salt’. Do you have a copy i could borrow, please?
    I guess you must be Betty’s daughter; she and i played badminton together at Mount Pleasant Chapel.

Comment by Allan Littlemore — May 9, 2012 @ 2:40 am

5. Yes, I am Betty’s youngest daughter, and I have heard a lot about you from Betty in the past, in connection with the Cricket Club.My son is very interested in my grandfather’s involvement with Elworth Cricket Club,as he is a keen cricket follower, and also interested in football, though following Watford (like my husband) not Everton.When I am next over I will look at Mum’s for a copy of the Sifta booklet. If you could email me your address I will send you a copy of the booklet,(this booklet is not the book mentioned above, which was called ‘My Story’ and published privately for his 3 Grandchildren) I could photo copy it for you to keep. I could also try and do one for you Michael if you are interested.

Comment by Alison Hazell — May 13, 2012 @ 2:22 am

6. That would be wonderful Alison. I’ll be in touch via email, thanks!

Comment by mbartalos — May 13, 2012 @ 10:27 am