I downloaded the app on Friday, grabbed some friends, and took it down to the museum floor (what else are you going to do at 4:30 on a Friday?). We had a ball and I think we were all very impressed. It must have taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people to put this together. There are so many features, but here are some of my favorites.
- There are tons of pictures and they all look great.
- There is a ‘Get Directions’ feature that is truly impressive. Tell it where you are, tell it where you want to go, and it will give you step-by-step instructions (similar to Google Maps) how to get there. The map will even act like a compass if you have that ability on your iPhone.
- You can learn more about each of the exhibits. There is a tidbit of information, along with the ‘Get Directions’ feature I described above, and then a section where you can ‘Dive Deeper‘ with quizzes, videos, and images that help you learn more. I love the videos. The quizzes are fun too, because I’m nerdy like that.
- There are currently 2 self-guided tours – one highlighting predators here at the museum, and the other highlighting the role of research here at the Academy and beyond. On June 15, there will also be a self-guided tour featuring the Academy’s snakes and lizards. You can even customize your own tour.
- We have a lot going on here throughout the day, so there is a live daily programs feed to help you plan your time here.
I can’t recommend the app enough. Not only is it free, but it’s fun to peruse and you can learn a lot too. What is better than that?!