Apply to participate in this exciting professional development opportunity!
Integrating Art and Science: An Institute for Teachers – An Online/Onsite Course – A Unique collaboration between
the Academy, the de Young,
The Metropolitan Museum of Art,
and the American Museum of Natural History!
K-8 teachers are invited to apply!
July 25-August 5, 2011
Our Focus: Participants will go on an “expedition” in the sense of exploring a new environment or a new idea and apply 21st Century Skills across art and science institutions.
- This course will focus on 21st Century Skills (such as observation, investigation, and creative problem solving) as a means to authentically integrate art and science. What are the “parallel processes” between artists and scientists? Explore specific examples across institutions such as art and science collections, exhibits, and galleries.
- Gain an appreciation and understanding for object-based learning, in both the museum and classroom settings.
- Learn how you can access and utilize museums and online museum resources in Golden Gate Park and Central Park in New York City!
- Develop a collection of ideas and resources on a chosen theme integrating art and science.
The first two days will be spent at the Academy and the de Young in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Following the onsite days, we will connect online with the cohort of teachers on the East Coast participating in the same course with the MET and AMNH! Learn from your colleagues across the country and collaborate locally to share your experiences and ideas.
Onsite workshops a the California Academy of Sciences and the de Young:
July 25 and 26, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Asynchronous interactive online activities:
Monday, July 25 – Friday, August 5
Live webinar (web seminar) sessions:
Wednesday, July 27 12noon ET or 3pm ET
Friday, July 29 12Noon ET or 3pm ET
Monday, August 1 12Noon ET or 3pm ET
Wednesday, August 3 12Noon ET or 3pm ET
Friday, August 5 12Noon ET or 3pm ET
Week of November 14, 2011
“Virtual Class Reunion” webinar to share any lessons and ideas.
How to apply:
- Complete this form and mail it in. Application deadline is July 18, 2011.
- Find a partner! Pairs or groups of teachers are encouraged but not required.
- Send in a check for $150 to the de Young (see address on application form).
Questions? Contact email@example.com