Informal Science Education
Professional Learning Programs
The California Academy of Sciences is pleased to introduce professional learning programs for informal educators interested in exploring the theory and practice of education within free-choice settings. Our programs immerse educators in best practices for engaging the public with science and sustainability. Sessions take place at the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. Snacks are provided.
Goals of the Programs
- Develop a common understanding: review current research in science and sustainability education
- Reflect: observe and evaluate your own teaching; and observe ways other educators teach
- Nurture a learning community: build a network of educators through shared experiences and collect resources for designing educational activities in informal environments
- Implement changes to practice: educators develop a new activity on a topic of your choosing- or tweak an existing one- which reflects what you’ve learned
Program 1: Learning, Reflections & Science
October 2 – November 20, 2013
Wednesdays from 4:30 – 7:30pm
This program is based on the Reflecting on Practice program developed by the Lawrence Hall of Science. Participants will explore research on learning and methods for engaging learners in scientific practices. Educators must be available for all of the Wednesday night sessions.
- How Learning Happens (Oct. 2)
- Accessing Prior Knowledge (Oct. 9)
- Learning Conversations (Oct. 16)
- Observing and Discussing Practice (Oct. 23)
- Nature and Practices of Science (Oct. 30)
- Scientific Practices & the NGSS (Nov. 6)
- Observing and Discussing Practice (Nov. 13)
- Poster Session & Happy Hour (Nov. 20)
Program 2: Conservation & Sustainability Education
January 22 – March 26, 2014
This program focuses on the process for creating programs and activities that support learners in engaging with environmentally friendly actions. Participants will engage in a rapid prototyping and iterative design process. Educators must be available for all of the Wednesday night sessions from 4:30-7:30pm, and at least two Friday night sessions from 5:00-9:00pm.
- Pedagogical Strategies (Weds, Jan 22)
- Using Audience Surveys (Weds, Jan 29)
- Using Findings to Inform Design (Weds, Feb 5)
- Creating Evaluation Instruments (Weds, Feb 12)
- Prototyping with SFUSD- Richmond (Fri, Feb 21)
- Reflect and Analyze Data (Weds, February 26)
- Prototyping with SFUSD Bayview (Fri, March 7)
- Reflect and Compare Data (Weds, March 12)
- Prototyping with SFUSD Mission (Fri, March 21)
- Presentations & Happy Hour! (Weds, March 26)
Fees & Application Process
To apply for a spot in the program, please fill out the application here www.surveymonkey.com/s/ISEapp.
Applicants may select a single program, or choose to attend both. If you have questions, or want to know more, please contact Lindzy Bivings at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individual Rate: $175 / program
- Team Rate (2 or more people from the same organization): $125 / program per person
- If these rates are outside of your ability to pay, please contact us for scholarship information
Want to spread the word? Download this flyer and distribute to your colleagues to encourage them to join your team!