BSI a transformative, one-year professional learning opportunity that deepens the science literacy of K-5 teachers and students, in order to empower all students to see themselves as independent thinkers and real world problem-solvers. Applications have closed for the 2018-19 Institute.
How can I teach science that matters to my students and their communities?
How can science inspire students to become more fluent readers, writers, and mathematicians?
How can I juggle the changing curriculum, the crunch for time, AND the needs of my students?
Join the makers of TISS and a community of Bayview-based elementary educators to explore these questions, and more, starting this summer.
Goals of the Institute
By focusing on teams of teachers, coaches, IRFs, and administrators from a few schools at a time, the Bayview Science Institute will support school-wide shifts, including:
- Deepening teachers' content knowledge & interest in science
- Preparing teachers to confidently facilitate the new, integrated science curriculum which SFUSD will be rolling out in 2018-19
- Promoting student agency and independent thinking
- Inspiring students to become caretakers of their environment
- 1 week program for educators at the California Academy of Sciences from June 11-15, 2018
- Follow-up coaching and after school PD sessions in 2018-19
- Culminating 3-day summer session in June 2019
Benefits for Participants
- $1000 stipend
- School site coaching by Academy educators
- Complimentary Academy membership
- Complimentary meals during summer & school year sessions
The Institute is generously supported by the Cedar Tree Foundation and the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.