Be the first to hear about distance learning programs, upcoming workshops, and new resources for science learning.
Engineering: Beyond Building Bridges (grades 3-12)
The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) put a spotlight on engineering. What does engineering really look like? How can thinking like an engineer benefit students? And can engineering happen in every content area--or is it just for building bridges?
Many of us grew up thinking that engineering was just about building bridges or designing gadgets. While some engineers do those things, there is actually a lot more to it! Engineering is an iterative, collaborative process involving critical thinking, problem solving, and communication. In this interactive, online workshop, you will discover what engineering really looks like and how it can apply to diverse content areas. Go beyond stereotypical engineering activities and integrate this way of thinking across your science curriculum.
This three-day online learning experience will be highly interactive and will engage you in small-group discussions and individual exploration. You will participate in synchronous sessions over Zoom, then have an independent task to complete at your own pace each day.
This workshop is designed for teachers of grades 3-12, and to be valuable for educators teaching online, hybrid, or in-person. All educators are welcome.
June 29, 30, and July 1, 2021
9:00 am to noon (Pacific Time)
What can I expect in an online workshop?
- Our online workshops take place on Zoom and are highly interactive. All workshops include both whole group and small group activities.
- We hope that participants will engage as fully as possible, while also realizing that we are all in different places and situations.
- We have designed our online professional development to be valuable for educators teaching online, in-person, and in hybrid situations.
- We don’t record our online workshops.
- All times posted are in the Pacific Time Zone.
How do I join?
Pre-registration for this online workshop is required. The Academy's professional development team will send the Zoom Meeting ID to registered educators a few days before the event.
Tickets are $75 for this 3-day workshop series. A limited number of tickets are available, and registration will close on or before Monday, June 28.
We're hosting virtual PD on Zoom in Summer 2021.