Join the Hive—the Academy's exclusive membership for ages 21–40. Perks include a ticket to Party After Dark, unlimited NightLife, and more.
Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 5pm-10pm
Member Holiday Night
Join us for a festive evening of fun! Enjoy members-only access to the museum at night, and experience ‘Tis the Season for Science: Life on Ice like never before. Mingle with other members and Academy scientists, ice skate in the East Garden, finish your holiday shopping, and more.
Saturday, January 26, 1pm-3pm
Volunteer Day with The Presidio Trust
Join the Hive as we partner with The Presidio Trust to help restore and preserve the natural areas of the Presidio of San Francisco through habitat restoration. Learn about the plants and animals found in our local creeks, dunes, grasslands, woodlands, and other natural landscapes. Activities include planting, watering, weeding, or spreading mulch.
Past Hive Events
Saturday, November 10, 2018, 10am-1pm
Tour of Golden Gate Park
Take the time to absorb the beauty of San Francisco with a walking tour of Golden Gate Park! Meet Academy experts who will guide you through scent-filled gardens, unique architecture and mesmerizing landscapes.
Thursday, October 25, 6:30-8:30 pm
Eat, drink, and be scary at the 4th annual Hive Halloween NightLife Private Lounge! Enjoy exclusive perks like an open bar and hors d'oeuvres, face painting, and a visit from some of the Academy's creepy-crawly specimens. Plus, enjoy NightLife festivities all around the museum from 6-10 pm.
Saturday, September 22, 12 pm
St. George Spirits Tasting and Tour
Join The Hive for a field trip across the Bay for a tasting tour of St. George Spirits to learn about craft distillation and artisanal spirits. St. George's spirit guide will provide an overview of their distillery’s history, introduce you to their family of spirits, and explain the production process and equipment.
Photo credit: Ben Krantz
Thursday, August 23, 6:30-8:30 pm
Calling all trivia enthusiasts! Bring your competitive spirit and knowledge of all things science and pop culture for an epic trivia showdown between The Hive and Young Professionals of San Francisco (YPOSF) right here at the Academy in Golden Gate Park.
Saturday, July 21, 9 am – 1 pm
Volunteer Outing with Friends of the Urban Forest
This weekend, join The Hive in making the city a little more green! In partnership with Friends of the Urban Forest, enjoy a day of tree-planting in the Outer Richmond.
Tuesday, June 26, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Summer of Arts & Sciences
Art, meet Science. Join us here at the Academy for the biggest membership mixer of the year and meet new friends from SF Opera’s BRAVO! CLUB, SF Ballet’s ENCORE! and SF Symphony’s Symphonix. Stroll the museum after dark, enjoy complimentary bites and drinks, and learn about discounted membership opportunities at our sister organizations.
Tuesday, June 12, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Giants of Land and Sea Exhibit Premiere
Life at the edge of land and sea is a dynamic, ever-changing place—where fog rolls in, tectonic plates shift, and rocky coastlines trace the majestic outline of our state's rich natural history. Come discover the giant forces that make Northern California a landscape like nowhere else in the world.
Join us for a private viewing and reception. Hosted bar and light appetizers. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5th.
Thursday, May 10, 8:30 pm - midnight
Big Bang: Party After Dark
Hive members enjoy countless events, including complimentary tickets to the Bay’s biggest bash of the year—Big Bang: Party After Dark ($175 ticket value). NEW THIS YEAR: Hive members will receive access to the VIP lounge at our annual Gala after party.
Highlights: DJ set by T-Pain, complimentary bites and open bars, Silent Disco in the aquarium, Adult Playground complete with swing sets and an ice cream truck, and more!
Saturday, April 21, 10 am - 12 pm
Lands End Coastal Nature Walk
Get out and about in the city with The Hive! Join The Hive and Annetta Black of Odd Salon on a coastal walking tour of Land’s End.
Learn about the eccentricities of Sutro and his famous baths, wander past the old Octagon House that once served as a watch-house for incoming ships, hear spooky stories about the cemetery that still lies beneath the Lincoln Golf Course, and top it off with a visit to the hidden labyrinth overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge.
Tuesday, March 27, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Hive Movie Night in Morrison Planetarium
Join us for movie snacks, beer and wine, and a special screening of YOUR favorite science film in Morrison Planetarium—the world’s largest all-digital dome! Hive members voted on what movie watch, and the winner was... The Fifth Element! Yes, that's right, MultiPass for everyone!
Thursday, February 15, 6:30 – 8 pm
Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Academy Collections
Join us for a special tour of the Academy's collections and a behind-the-scenes look into the Steinhart Aquarium! Rumor has it, we might even check out the large mammal collection and our masticating beetle room. Enjoy drinks and appetizers before, and all of NightLife after. Now that's a Thursday night.
Saturday, January 20, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
Planting Party with Sloat Garden Center
Enjoy a talk with Jen Strobel, Garden Designer, about companion planting principles: the practice of combining plants in ways that produce extra benefits for one or both. Then get your hands dirty at a planting session and create your own mini take-home planter!
2017 Hive Events
- December 12: Academy Holiday Member Night
- November 8: Stargazing on the Living Roof
- October 26: 3rd Annual Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- August & September: Pick-Your-Own-Event at the Asian Art Museum
- August 5: Volunteer Outing at SF Botanical Garden
- July 11: Nature Sketch Workshop with John Muir Laws
- June 10: Angel Island Excursion
- May 17: Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs Exhibit Premiere
- April 27: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- March 24: Annual Hive Movie Night in the Planetarium
- February 16: Beer Week NightLife - drink tickets
- February 1: Seminar with Jennifer Pahlka at the Long Now Foundation
- January 26: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Academy Collections
2016 Hive Events
- December 6 and 13: Academy Holiday Member Nights
- October 27: 2nd Annual Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- October 8: Private Gem Vault Tour
- September 25: Baker Beach Cleanup with the Surfrider Foundation
- August 18: The Hive vs. Exploratorium Lab: Science Pub Trivia
- July 28: BigPicture NightLife Premiere
- July 14: Scavenger Hunt at the Academy
- May 21: History and Nature Tour of Golden Gate Park
- April 28: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- March 16: Hive Movie Screening at the Academy
- March 9: Incoming! Planetarium Premiere and Reception
- February 11: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Academy Collections
- January 16: Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy Volunteer Outing
2015 Hive Events
- December 9 and 16: Academy Member Holiday Nights
- November 15: Surfrider Foundation Beach Cleanup
- October 29: Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- September 17: Sci-Tech NightLife and Drone Workshop
- August 16: Andy Goldsworthy Presidio Art & Nature Hike
- July 30: Big Picture Photography Competition & Exhibit Opening
- July 9: Dodos concert at NightLife
- June 10: Color of Life Exhibit Opening
- May 2: Private Tour and Tasting at Magnolia Brewing Co.
- April 23: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- April 1: Whales: Giants of the Deep Exhibit Opening
- March 17: Special Presentation: The Making of our planetarium show Habitat Earth
- February 12: Feel the Chemistry NightLife Private Cocktail Reception
- January 15: Reception with Executive Director Jon Foley at The Battery
Gifts large and small help us achieve our mission.