Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Grab your high-waisted mom jeans and your flannel and get yourself to ‘90s NightLife for a celebration of iconic pop culture.
DJ Set by The Bedazzlers
Live Talks: '90s in Space
At 7:30 PM, Catch a live talk from Jill Tarter, the Chair Emeritus of SETI and inspiration for the character Dr. Eleanor Arroway in the 1997 film Contact.
At 8:30 PM, Take a closer look at some of your favorite your favorite '90s movies about the red planet with Dr. Pascal Lee, co-founder and chairman of the Mars Insitute.
6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Step into the garden for an epic medley of '90s movie soundtracks (think Forrest Gump, Hook, and yes, Sonic the Hedgehog) by the Awesöme Orchestra Collective.
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Forgot your quarters? Don't have a cow, man. '90s Arcade Games (including The Simpsons) will be set on free play all night.
6 PM - 10 PM
Chat with Bay Area experts as they highlight or debunk the science in some of the decade’s biggest movies, from Jurassic Park to Gattaca.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Journey through our universe, guided by Tom Hanks.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the Academy at night and celebrate SF Pride with pop-up performances featuring the Rice Rockettes!
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Upcoming free virtual events
Celebrate Pride Month with a NightSchool featuring scientists whose queer perspectives are driving new science.
In nature, color is way more than just an aesthetic—learn how it affects the life cycles of countless species.