Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Animal Behavior NightLife
Music by DJ Magic Touch
Join us and a few of our furry friends for a night all about animal behavior.
Schedule of Events
7 & 8 pm
- Like your animals a little bit more on the wild side? Meet a sloth, lemur, and fennec fox when Classroom Safari brings their engaging live animal program to the garden.
- At 7:30, Listen to a fascinating talk by Dr. Nathan Lents, author of Not So Different: Finding Human Nature in Animals, about love, attachment, and grief in both humans and animals.
- which traces how the evolutionary forces of cooperation and competition have shaped humans and animals.
- At 8:30, Change up your own animal behavior and get off your phone to watch the internet’s funniest, most dramatic, and awww!-worthy cat videos with friends! Enjoy CatVideoFest, the offline celebration of online cat videos, curated by filmmaker Will Braden, the creator of Henri, Le Chat Noir.
Philippine Coral Reef
7 & 9 pm
- Some of the most fascinating animal behavior can be seen in avian mating rituals. In the dance performance "Aves," choreographer Roxanne Gray explores the courtship rituals of birds and the art of finding a mate in the animal kingdom.
*Subject to close early due to Puppies being tired. Awwww.
- Looking for your own animal companion? Visit the San Francisco SPCA corral to meet some kittens and puppies available for adoption and learn more about the organization’s efforts to find homes for every stray.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Upcoming NightLife Events
Get your science fix on the museum floor then head outside to activate your endorphins on our Holiday Ice Rink!
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment inspired by a galaxy far, far away.
’Tis the season to stuff those stockings and shop locally with a merry marketplace curated by SF Bazaar.