Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Be the first to see the Academy’s fifth annual BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition exhibit and celebrate the best in nature and conservation photography.
Like what you see? Now you can take it home with you: Wonders, an all-new photography book of more than 100 BigPicture images curated by Academy creative director Rhonda Rubinstein, will be on sale at the Academy Store.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Big Picture Awards Ceremony
Celebrate the BigPicture winners at a special awards presentation in the planetarium. See the captivating work of world-class photographers and discover how they document some of the most fascinating moments of life on Earth in an effort to share important conservation stories with the world.
Photography in the Wild
Wander into African Hall to hear a fascinating talk from the Academy's lead photographer Kat Whitney and Director of IBSS research and expert in biodiversity Shannon Bennett as they discuss the essential role photography plays in conservation, research and sustainability.
6:00 - 10:00pm
Get a close-up look at the science behind Positon Emission Tomography with Dr. Megan Stewart from UCSF.
Adult Chemistry: Drake's Brewing
(The Terrace Bar & Restaurant)
Tasting from 6:00 - 10:00pm
Talks at 7:30 & 8:30pm
Head outside to The Terrace Restaurant & Bar for some “Adult Chemistry”—this month, enjoy a tasting with Drake’s Brewing Company. Discover the secrets and science behind their wide variety of beers with Barrel Master Travis Camacho and his “Barrel Minions.”
Behind the Photo
(East Pavilion @ Science Today)
Photographer Ralph Pace discusses how he captured the "Epic Battle" between sea lion and sunfish, one of the spectacular nature images in Wonders, the new book of photos from the BigPicture competition.
Music by The BeDazzlers DJs
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Science, tech, and innovation collide when NightLife partners with Seeker to explore the future of humanity.
NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with after-hours science inside the greenest museum on Earth.
NightLife breaks down the science of fermentation—from beer to cheese and everything in between!
NightLife LIVE 2018 music series—performances in the West Garden by Classixx + SUMif, Co-presented by Noise Pop.