Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Sink your teeth into BiteLife, our annual event celebrating all things edible. Explore the science of taste and flavor with demos, talks, and samples from some of the Bay’s most innovative tastemakers including The Perennial and Impossible Foods.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Bite into the Impossible
*Available for purchase in the cafe, while supplies last.
Join us in the Academy Cafe for a taste of the future! Sink your teeth into an Impossible Burger, the game-changing, plant-based burger that's as delicious as it is sustainable.
Plus, try special chef's creations like Impossible Pizza or Impossible Chili for sale in the Academy Café. *We highly recommend arriving early to snag a bite!
Reimagining Sustainable Food
- 7:30pm - Join insect entrepreneurs Monica Martinez of Don Bugito and Megan Miller of Bitty Foods for a lively discussion of the cultural history and numerous benefits of edible insects. (Yes, there will be snacks!)
- 8:30pm - Learn more about the sustainable Kernza grain and about sustainable beef from The Perennial, "America's Most Sustainable Restaurant."
Cooking Tricks & Tips
- 7:00pm - Learn how to make Mozzarella at home from cheese expert and It's Not You It's Brie author, Kristin Jackson.
(Project Lab & Swamp)
6:00 - 10:00pm
- If you’re planning a dinner party, consistency is key: Find out how you can prepare the perfect meal with sous vide—the newest oldest cooking craze—with a demo from Nomiku.
- What’s the latest in food innovation? Get a taste of the future with partners from San Francisco’s LAUNCH , an award-winning global startup accelerator.
- Check out incredible shark jaws and learn about their strength and evolution from the skull expert, Ray Bandar.
- Learn how museum specimens from the UC Berkeley Museum of Paleontology allow scientists to study diets and gastronomy through the ages.
- Rethink health and food consumption with Bauman College, which offers programs in holistic nutrition and culinary arts.
- Food doesn’t have to be photo-worthy to be tasty—learn how to use Imperfect Produce’s “ugly” veggies in unique ways.
- Come see how Point Blue Conservation Science studies the diets of marine predators! Look at krill (whale food) and ponder how the largest animals on earth subsist on these tiny organisms.
Music in the Coral Reef by DJ Andy Cabic.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 6:00 pm. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
Upcoming NightLife Events
NightLife brings in experts to talk about the missions and spacecrafts currently on the search for exoplanets.
Dive into some of the greatest cosmic mysteries as NightLife travels to the ends of the observable universe.
This week, we’re shrinking down to size with a celebration of all things tiny, miniature, and microscopic.
Embark on a late-night science adventure: NightLife explores the mechanics of flight in the natural world.