Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
From the rare and weird to the historically important and just plain cool, Collectible NightLife celebrates the art of collecting.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7:30pm - See our scientific collections in a whole new light as photographer Susan Middleton shows off some of her most stunning images of the Academy’s specimens.
8:30pm - Get lost in cabinets of curiosities as Emily Graslie, Chief Curiosity Correspondent for The Field Museum in Chicago and creator and host of the YouTube show, “The Brain Scoop,” shares tales and #fails from her time working in one of the largest natural history collections in the world.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Raise an eyebrow (or two) while learning about Good Vibrations’ collection of antique vibrators. Then, get historical and marvel at Schein & Schein’s antique maps and books.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Check out some of the Bay Area’s most prolific collections at the project lab:
- Appreciate the sparkle of some of the San Francisco Gem and Mineral Society’s finest specimens
- View Loved to Death’s taxonomic oddities.
- Learn about the city’s west side with the Western Neighborhood Project’s collection of historical ephemera from the outside lands.
16mm Film Collection
6:00 - 10:00pm, Watch antique16 mm films with film collector Jon Bastian in the Philippine Coral Reef.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Design and science unite for a special edition of NightLife curated by California College of the Arts.
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of human health and wellness.
Sink your teeth into BiteLife, our annual event celebrating all things edible.
Be one of the first to lay eyes on the premiere of Vortex 2.0, an art and music experience in the planetarium.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.