Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Coral Reef NightLife
Music by DJ QBert & Friends
Everything’s better under the sea: Join us in celebrating World Oceans Day and the beauty and wonder of coral reefs.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Biodiversity in the Philippines
6:00 - 10:00pm, Learn about the Academy’s long history of marine exploration in the Philippines, home to some of the most biologically diverse coral reefs in the world, and hear directly from the Philippine Consulate about efforts to protect them.
DJ Qbert & Friends
6:00 - 10:00pm, Marvel at the out-of-this-world scratching skills with a special set by local celeb DJ QBert.
Coral Reef to Deep Sea
6:00 - 10:00pm, Meet with the following scientists as they share specimens—from nudibranchs to reef fish—and stories from the Coral Triangle. Find out what it takes to be a deep sea explorer and see new species discovered by Academy scientists.
- Gary Williams & Cerise Chen | Deep sea exploration
- Hudson Pinheiro | Rebreather & new species
- Chrissy Piotrowski | Invertebrates and 3D coral reef scans
- Dave Cantania | California marine fish
- NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center's Oriana Poindexter | Sustainable seafood and underwater photography
- Terry Gosliner & Rich Mooi | Nudibranchs
- Luiz Rocha | Fish specimen
- Kelly Markello | Crinoids and other inverts
6:00 - 10:00pm, Make your own underwater soundtrack with the Seaquence app, a music production tool that lets you create soundscapes by animating alien-like sea creatures. Listen to your masterpiece with Wearhaus wireless headphones.
Deep Dive Discussion
8:00pm, Listen to Coral Reef researchers and biologists Terry Gosliner, Luiz Rocha, Meg Burke, Bart Shepherd, Counsel General Henry Bensurto as they discuss the problems of coral bleaching and the importance of biodiversity in Philippine coral reefs.
Coral Reef Dive Show
(Coral Reef / Aquarium Level)
7:00pm, Find out what it takes to explore below the surface with a dive show and underwater Q&A in the Philippine coral reef tank from Academy Diving Safety Officer Mauritius Bell.
Plus, Drink for good with Dogfish Head’s SeaQuench Ale, a session sour beer made in partnership with the National Aquarium of Baltimore to promote sustainability within the seafood industry, among other initiatives.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Get to know the wolf, one of North America’s most iconic terrestrial mammals and important predators.
Hear thrilling tales of how scientists go to great lengths to get answers to their questions.
Join us for an evening exploring the science of gray whales and their annual 10,000-mile journey.