Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
DJ set by Sazon Libre
NightLife partners with San Francisco Design Week to explore the many ways design impacts lives, culture, and science—from exhibit design to architecture and fashion to fonts.
Live Talks: Building Bold
At 7:30 PM, discover Bauhaus architecture in its centenary year with a live talk from AIA San Francisco.
At 8:30 PM, join designers from the Lost Type Co-Op for jokes, stories, and projects in celebration of their new series of typefaces, created in collaboration with and inspired by the Academy’s scientific collections.
NBA Finals: Game 6
6:00 - 9:00 PM
Worried about missing out on the last game at Oracle Arena? Grab a seat and check in on the Bay Area's favorite team with a livestream of Game 6.
Sneak Peek: Skin
6:00 - 8:00 PM
Take an exclusive mini-tour through our newest exhibit, Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity, with designers from the Academy’s exhibit and creative studio teams.
Project Lab + Swamp
Learn about the cultural and ecological complexities of landscape architecture with designer Phoebe White. Get hands-on with a weaving workshop of Bauhaus textile techniques hosted by the Museum of Craft and Design. roll up your sleeves for a screenprinting demo by local clothing brand San Franpsychoand art activities with California College of the Arts and Carrie Leeb of Spark Studio.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Get a glimpse into the design process involved in making award-winning shows for the Morrison Planetarium.
Embark on a journey into the hidden world of coral reefs.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment and a live performance by Monster Rally!
’Tis the season to stuff those stockings and shop locally with a merry marketplace curated by SF Bazaar.
Step away from the baby bellas and learn how to unleash fungi’s true potential!
Laugh your face mites off as SF Sketchfest takes over the Academy for a knee-slapping night.