Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
We’re breaking down the science of fermentation, showing you the chemical magic behind kombucha to chocolate and everything in-between.
Music by MOM DJs
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Talks: Cooking with Culture
At 7:30 PM, Learn about koji, the mold that gives many Japanese foods that umami flavor you love, with a demo and talk by Mariko Grady of Aedan Fermented Foods.
At 8:30 PM, Check out a live food demo of lactic acid fermentation with Kathryn Lukas and Shane Peterson, authors of the new book "The Farmhouse Guide to Fermenting".
Live Talk: tinyB Chocolate
Attention chocolate-lovers, find out the secrets behind the incredible taste of Brazilian brigadeiros with Andrei Stoica, owner of tinyB Chocolate.
6:00 - 10:00 PM
Get the lowdown on Tartine Bakery’s coffee and bread, learn how to get started with home-brewing from beer to kombucha with SF Brewcraft and Health-Ade, and check out fun and interactive yeast experiments with researchers from Stanford’s Jarosz Lab.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Get an inside look at the science behind the fermented creations at Tartine!
How did life on Earth begin? Take a high-speed tour of key events since the Big Bang that set the stage for life
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Calling all kaibigan: tropic like it’s hot for a night dedicated to Filipino arts, culture, and science.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore the multicultural—and multispecies—uses of ink. And hey, maybe even get a tattoo.
SF Bazaar is back for a summertime event! Explore indie goods and wares from more than 30 local makers.