Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
It’s no secret that NightLife likes to go BIG—and this week will be no exception!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Whales Exhibit (Level 2)
6:00-9:30pm, Marvel at colossal whale skeletons in the Academy’s latest exhibit Whales: Giants of the Deep. Plus, crawl through a life-sized replica of a blue whale heart and view ancient artifacts from the Maori people of New Zealand.
Late Nite Art (African Hall)
8:00 pm, Join Oakland’s Late Nite Art and make a new friend while participating in a large-scale group art experience in African Hall.
- 7:30-8:45 pm, Braille
- 8:45-10:00 pm, Different Sleep
Macro Activities (Swamp)
- Number nerds from SF Math Circle will break down the big data behind the law of large numbers and the true meaning of “infinity.”
- Listen to big ideas from UC Berkeley curatorial assistant Charlotte Jennings as she discusses how macro-ecology influences species richness from the poles to the equator.
- Chat with conservationists from Point Blue at a Whale Alert table while learning about ocean ecosystem health and food webs.
- Zoom out for a giant-scale view of the Earth's surface with Earth System Science Department at Stanford
Big Bone Collectors (Project Lab)
6:30-9:00 pm, Meet life-long bone collectors Ray Bandar and Lee Post as they share big tales of encounters with giant marine mammals (and their skeletons).
DJ sets by ITAL and Aurora Halal
Note: The 4-story Rainforest exhibit closes at 7:45pm and planetarium passes are distributed to visitors on a first-come first-served basis. Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Food & Drink
A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6-9:30pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace located in the West Garden, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
Note: All bars accept cash and credit cards.
6:00-7:45 pm, Osher Rainforest—explore a lush, four-story rainforest that's teeming with life.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Come together and connect with the Bay’s AAPI community in an evening of music, storytelling, and fashion.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Catch a sneak peek of the new BigPicture exhibit, where life is wild and animals inspire us to be more human.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.