Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Lunar New Year NightLife
Get a second chance to kick off the new year when NightLife rings in the Year of the Rat with a night devoted to Lunar New Year traditions.
Music by Jay Midnight
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Year of the Rat
6:30 - 8:30 PM
- Get face-to-face with this year’s lunar animal ambassador as Rattie Ratz Rescue brings a few of their cutest rodents.
7:00 & 8:00 PM
- Begin the celebration with a special performance from musician Melody Yan as she plays the Guzheng (Chinese zither)—a plucked string instrument with 2,500+ years of history.
7:30 & 8:30 PM
- Check out a powerful lion dance performance and ceremony by SF’s own Jing Mo Athletic Association, a Chinatown-based martial arts performance troupe. Examine a lion dance costume up-close—and take a photo with it.
6:00 - 10:00 PM
- Learn about the significance of tea and tea ceremonies with Fabula Tea, and try your hand at traditional Chinese calligraphy.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Narrated by George Takei, Incoming! explores the past, present, and future of our Solar System.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Come together and connect with the Bay’s AAPI community in an evening of music, storytelling, and fashion.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.