Live Performance from Men I Trust
with support from mk.gee
DJ set by Popscene
Presented by Noise Pop
NightLife LIVE 2019 kicks off its first of four live shows in our West Garden with a performance from Men I Trust. Co-presented by Noise Pop and in partnership DoTheBay, Deep Eddy Vodka, and artist-in-residency Maggie West.
Fresh off their Coachella debut, Montreal trio Men I Trust headlines, featuring dream-pop perfect vocals by Emma Proulx and a funky and “insatiable groove” (Ones to Watch). Multi-instrumentalist, singer-songwriter, and California transplant mk.gee (pronounced McGee) opens, bringing his standout funk-inspired indie rock. He also carries a stamp of approval by Frank Ocean, who featured a mk.gee track on his blonded RADIO show last December. Explore a colorful new art installation by NightLife LIVE’s first artist-in-residence, Los Angeles-based artist Maggie West. Experience the garden through a geodesic dome, illuminated from within and featuring West’s photos of specimens from the Academy’s scientific collections. Keep your senses stimulated between sets with a unique, immersive experience by Vision Quest, get hands-on with crafts and creativity workshops from Paint Pens Collective, and add to your record collection with Amoeba Records’ pop-up shop. Plus, be sure to collect all of San Franpsycho’s “one-night-only” screen printed shirts designed just for NightLife LIVE.
ABOUT NIGHTLIFE LIVE:
NightLife LIVE pairs emerging bands and musicians with cutting-edge visual artists in an immersive intersection of science, music, and art. The only museum in the world to combine an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, living rainforest, and live performances on an outdoor stage transforms the Academy into one of San Francisco’s most unique live music venues in the heart of Golden Gate Park.
Partnering with some of the Bay Area’s most buzzworthy art collectives and studios, NightLife LIVE will feature immersive light shows and mind-bending projections by ALL OF IT NOW, VR experiences by Vision Quest, and more. Each NightLife LIVE event will also feature hands-on, science-inspired crafts and creativity workshops with Paint Pens Collective, rotating pop-up shops from local vendors like Amoeba Records, and special “one-night-only” custom designs with screen printing by San Franpsycho.
Check the Spotify playlist to hear Men I Trust & more.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.