Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Meet some of our brightest young scientific minds as NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with an evening of after-hours science inside the greenest museum on the planet.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Post Doc Academy
6:00 - 9:45pm
Learn about some of the current research projects and passions of just a few of our incredible post-doc students, including nudibranchs, scorpions, mosquito-borne viruses, corals, sea biscuits, scientific illustration, and more.
- Lynn Bonomo - Nudibranches
- Aaron Goodman - Arachnids & Insects
- Allison Fritts-Penniman - Nudibranchs
- Panpim Thongsripong - Mosquito and virus
- Gabriela Arango - Fish
- Raphael Ritson-Williams - Sex in the Sea
- Sean Edgerton - Science + Natural History Illustration
- Misha Leong & Michael Bennett - Human Evolution & Mite Evolution Patterns
- Marie Angel - Museum Studies/Collections Management
- Mike Wurtz, University of the Pacific Archives – papers from famed naturalist John Muir
- Kevin Pontuti, University of the Pacific Media X – VR film and alternative presentations of John Muir
Sex in the Sea
Yes, even sea creatures do it - in their own special way! From mass spawning to penis fencing...learn the wild side of the sea from Academy researcher, Raphael Ritson-Williams.
Wait Wait, Don't Cite Me
8:00pm & 9:00pm
Try to stump a panel of scientists with a special science-themed parody of everybody’s favorite NPR game show called “Wait Wait…Don’t Cite Me!”
Coral Reef Dive Show
(Philippine Coral Reef tank)
Get a close up view of our Philippine Coral reef tank with a special night time edition of our dive show.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
EARTHQUAKE EXHIBIT CLOSED
- Earthquake exhibit is closed in preparation for an all new exhibit.
*Please note—the Shake House will return in June with an all new look and feel!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Think you could pass a third grade astronomy test? How about a fifth grade test?
Upcoming NightLife Events
Ogle our annual nature photography exhibit before it opens—and then meet some of the winning photographers IRL.
For those who can’t stand the heat, NightLife brings the desert to you with a focus on these wide open spaces.
NightLife LIVE 2018 music series—performances by Elohim + Caleborate, Presented by Outside Lands Music Festival.
Join us and a few of our furry friends for a night all about Animal behavior.