Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Under the Sea Prom
Will you go to prom with us? Bust out your powder blue suit and best prom fit—we’re celebrating World Oceans Day with a special performance from San Francisco’s own La Doña. Strike a pose at the photo booth, craft your own prom accessories, and dance the night away under the sea.
Sounds by DJ Sake One
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 6:00 - 8:15 PM
- Kick off the night with a cocktail and some “tropical bass music for the people” provided by the DJs of Sazon Libre.
- 8:30 - 9:30 PM
- Grab a spot for an extra special “femmeton” Prom performance from San Francisco’s very own La Doña.
Sounds of the Sea
6 - 9 PM
- Join the Museum of Craft and Design to create your own perfect prom acc-sea-ssory, from Neptune crowns to coral corsages… all while being serenaded with a special ocean-themed set from the SF Ukulele Rebellion.
Coral Reef Dive
Philippine Coral Reef
- Watch as a diver suits up in some Prom-appropriate SCUBA gear to plunge into one of the world’s deepest living indoor coral reef exhibits and get answers to all your reef-related questions.
Guardians of the Deep
Swamp & Science Today
Meet all the experts from the Academy and beyond who work tirelessly to protect our precious oceans, including:
- Bart Shepard, Steinhart Aquarium Director, Luiz Rocha, Ichthyology Curator, and Mark Lane, Senior Dive Officer
- California Department of Fish & Wildlife
- Marine Protected Area (MPA) Collaborative Network
- Susan MacWhorter, Hope For Reefs Initiative
- Alejandra Hernandez, Jennifer Hoey, Flore Wijnands, and Mike Schmitt, Reefscape Genomics Lab
- Johanna Loacker & Lynn Bonomo, Academy Collections
A few don't-miss NightLife details:
- To help keep staff and guests safe, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for entry, and boosters and indoor masking are strongly encouraged. Feeling under the weather? Please NightLife another time! View health and safety information here.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
- Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, planetarium passes are required and capacity is limited. Passes are available online in advance for an additional $5 while supplies last to reserve a seat at a 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, or 9:30 pm planetarium show. Please see our FAQs for more details. (Please note: A limited number of standby seats will be available for all showtimes as space allows on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium, and masks must be worn properly at all times.)
- Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Academy Café and West Garden Terrace including a variety of grab-and-go options, craft cocktails, and more. All food and drink must be enjoyed outdoors.
- NightLife is for adults 21+ only. Photo ID required.
- Still have Qs? See our FAQs here.
Explore the immense scale of the known Universe in this live presentation that leaves Earth far behind.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Get your move on for a night that’s all about our devotion to motion.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different. For adults 21+.
Mahjong parlor. Tattoo pop-up. Local eats. We’ve got everything you need to celebrate Lunar New Year.