Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Celebrate the creatures who do NightLife right—this week, it’s all about nocturnal animals.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Nocturnal Creatures
6:00 - 9:30 pm, Learn about the moonlit lifestyles of a couple VIP guests from Classroom Safari—a two-toed sloth and a porcupine!
7:00 & 8:00 pm, Enjoy two animal shows and learn which creatures come out once the sun goes down.
Light Up Lanterns
6:00 - 9:00 pm, For those of you that don’t have eyes specially adapted to the dark, stop by the swamp to make your own lantern using recycled coffee cans and tea tins with Green Art Workshop.
Low Light Photography
6:00 - 10:00pm, Adapt your photography skills to low light conditions with a night photography demo from the experts at Aperture Academy.
Nocturnal Science Discoveries
6:00-10:00 pm, Stop by the project lab to check out the latest science on all things late night.
- Learn about the ways that the California Wolf Center is helping reintroduce wolves into California wild lands where they once roamed.
- Listen to the night music of the wetlands with Dr. Evan Varianos from UC Berkeley.
- Discover how your own circadian rhythms might be affected by sleep medication with Virginie Gabel of Stanford University Postdoctoral Association (SURPAS).
In the Piazza, dance the night away with tunes produced by another type of night owl, DJ Aaron Axelsen.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Upcoming NightLife Events
Listen up as NightLife explores the science of rhythm—from the natural world to the world of electronic music.
Celebrate the California coast and discover the giant forces that make the golden state so special.
Come celebrate love, equality, self-expression and San Francisco Pride at NightLife's annual Pride Party!
NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with after-hours science inside the greenest museum on the planet.