Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Reel to Real NightLife
Get ready for your close-up this week with film screenings, filmmaker talks, and other cinematic surprises in honor of the SF International Film Festival.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Film Screenings (African Hall)
7:00 pm, Screening of The Damkeeper:
- Nominated for 2015 Oscar for Best Animated Short and SFIFF57 Golden Gate Winner
- The Dam Keeper, an original animated short film by feature animation artists Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi, tells the tale of a young pig encumbered with an important job, and the meeting of a new classmate who changes everything.
8:00 pm, Google ATAP Spotlight Stories (screening and talk)
- A collection of short films that blend art, technology, and storytelling into one award-worthy experience.
- Hear from Buggy Night director Mark Oftedal, a founding member of Pixar and Toy Story animator, and Brian Collins, Tech Art Lead for the Google ATAP series.
9:00 pm, Screening of Advantageous
- 2015 Sundance Film Festival Award Winner and SF Film Society FilmHouse Resident
- Discuss the technical side of indie special effects with filmmaker Jennifer Phang in discussion with Michele Turnure-Salleo, Director of Filmmaker360.
Projections & Live Animation (Coral Reef)
- 6:00-8:00 pm, Projection of Topophilia—An experimental documentary that follows the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System from beginning to end.
- 8:15-9:15 pm, Live animation with Robot Kondo, artist and director of The Dam Keeper
Silent Disco (Piazza)
- 8:00-10:00 pm, get your groove on at a Silent Disco featuring some of your favorite movie soundtracks from the 1980’s with the synth-pop sounds of the New Wave City DJs and guitar-heavy riffs of the 1970’s with DJ Andy Trice.
Making of Habitat Earth (Project Lab)
6:00-10:00 pm, Get behind-the-scenes and learn about the making of Habitat Earth, the Academy’s newest planetarium show.
Google Spotlight Demo (Swamp)
- 6:00-10:00 pm, A new storytelling canvas specifically for mobile, the Spotlight Stories Player uses the latest advances in 3D graphics to deliver immersive and interactive short stories in real-time.
Food & Drink
A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6-9:30pm, including The Terrace and pop-up cafe located in the West Garden and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
Note: All bars accept cash and credit cards.
6:00-7:45 pm, Osher Rainforest—explore a lush, four-story rainforest that's teeming with life!
Note: The 4-story Rainforest exhibit closes at 7:45pm and planetarium passes are distributed to visitors on a first-come first-served basis. Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment inspired by a galaxy far, far away.
’Tis the season to stuff those stockings and shop locally with a merry marketplace curated by SF Bazaar.
Put down the button mushrooms and discover fungi’s true potential!
Laugh your face off as SF Sketchfest takes over the museum for a knee-slapping night.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.