Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Reel to Real NightLife
Get ready for your close-up this week with film screenings, filmmaker talks, and other cinematic surprises in honor of the SF International Film Festival.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Film Screenings (African Hall)
7:00 pm, Screening of The Damkeeper:
- Nominated for 2015 Oscar for Best Animated Short and SFIFF57 Golden Gate Winner
- The Dam Keeper, an original animated short film by feature animation artists Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi, tells the tale of a young pig encumbered with an important job, and the meeting of a new classmate who changes everything.
8:00 pm, Google ATAP Spotlight Stories (screening and talk)
- A collection of short films that blend art, technology, and storytelling into one award-worthy experience.
- Hear from Buggy Night director Mark Oftedal, a founding member of Pixar and Toy Story animator, and Brian Collins, Tech Art Lead for the Google ATAP series.
9:00 pm, Screening of Advantageous
- 2015 Sundance Film Festival Award Winner and SF Film Society FilmHouse Resident
- Discuss the technical side of indie special effects with filmmaker Jennifer Phang in discussion with Michele Turnure-Salleo, Director of Filmmaker360.
Projections & Live Animation (Coral Reef)
- 6:00-8:00 pm, Projection of Topophilia—An experimental documentary that follows the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System from beginning to end.
- 8:15-9:15 pm, Live animation with Robot Kondo, artist and director of The Dam Keeper
Silent Disco (Piazza)
- 8:00-10:00 pm, get your groove on at a Silent Disco featuring some of your favorite movie soundtracks from the 1980’s with the synth-pop sounds of the New Wave City DJs and guitar-heavy riffs of the 1970’s with DJ Andy Trice.
Making of Habitat Earth (Project Lab)
6:00-10:00 pm, Get behind-the-scenes and learn about the making of Habitat Earth, the Academy’s newest planetarium show.
Google Spotlight Demo (Swamp)
- 6:00-10:00 pm, A new storytelling canvas specifically for mobile, the Spotlight Stories Player uses the latest advances in 3D graphics to deliver immersive and interactive short stories in real-time.
Food & Drink
A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6-9:30pm, including The Terrace and pop-up cafe located in the West Garden and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
Note: All bars accept cash and credit cards.
6:00-7:45 pm, Osher Rainforest—explore a lush, four-story rainforest that's teeming with life!
Note: The 4-story Rainforest exhibit closes at 7:45pm and planetarium passes are distributed to visitors on a first-come first-served basis. Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Upcoming NightLife Events
NightLife brings in experts to talk about the missions and spacecrafts currently on the search for exoplanets.
Dive into some of the greatest cosmic mysteries as NightLife travels to the ends of the observable universe.
This week, we’re shrinking down to size with a celebration of all things tiny, miniature, and microscopic.
Embark on a late-night science adventure: NightLife explores the mechanics of flight in the natural world.