Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Science of Rhythm NightLife
DJ set by Bill Brewster & Chris Orr
Listen up as NightLife explores the science of sound and rhythm—from the natural world to the world of electronic music.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:00pm - Learn about the mysteries and internal rhythms of bird migration from Jonathan Hagstrum of USGS.
- 8:00pm - Join Bill Brewster, DJ and co-author of the seminal book, Last Night a DJ Saved My Life, for a talk about the history of DJing and a set in the main piazza.
Vintage Synth Museum
6:00 - 10:00pm
Tinker and tool with the buttons and dials on vintage analog synthesizers and drum machines, provided by the Vintage Synth Museum, while chilling out with DJs playing ambient music in the Philippine Coral Reef.
6:00 - 10:00pm
You may not have rhythm on the dance floor, but your body is tuned into very nuanced circadian sleep rhythms—learn more about them with the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences (CASBS) at Stanford.
Dive into the science of sonar and its importance in whale migration with a special Academy Update in the Morrison Planetarium.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
EARTHQUAKE EXHIBIT CLOSED
- Earthquake exhibit is closed in preparation for an all new exhibit.
*Please note—the Shake House will return June 14th with an all new look and feel!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Escape the winter doldrums with a trip to Tropical NightLife.
Explore the Academy through rose-colored glasses: Tonight we’re celebrating the wonderful world of color.
NightLife partners with SF Beer Week for a froth-filled evening of brews!
Come celebrate your Valentine's, Palentine's or Galentine's at the official Noise Pop Music Festival pre-party.