Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Science of Rhythm NightLife
DJ set by Bill Brewster & Chris Orr
Listen up as NightLife explores the science of sound and rhythm—from the natural world to the world of electronic music.
-----> Join Bill Brewster, DJ and co-author of the seminal book, Last Night a DJ Saved My Life, for a talk about the history of DJing and a set in the main piazza.
-----> Learn about the mysteries and internal rhythms of bird migration from Jonathan Hagstrum of USGS.
-----> Tinker and tool with the buttons and dials on vintage analog synthesizers and drum machines, provided by the Vintage Synth Museum, while chilling out with DJs playing ambient music in the Philippine Coral Reef. Dive into the science of sonar and its importance in whale migration with a special Academy Update in the Morrison Planetarium.
-----> You may not have rhythm on the dance floor, but your body is tuned into very nuanced circadian sleep rhythms—learn more about them with the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences (CASBS) at Stanford.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
EARTHQUAKE EXHIBIT CLOSED
- Earthquake exhibit is closed in preparation for an all new exhibit.
*Please note—the Shake House will return June 14th with an all new look and feel!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Listen up as NightLife explores the science of rhythm—from the natural world to the world of electronic music.
Celebrate the California coast and discover the giant forces that make the golden state so special.
Come celebrate love, equality, self-expression and San Francisco Pride at NightLife's annual Pride Party!
NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with after-hours science inside the greenest museum on the planet.