Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
This week, NightLife gets under your skin. Explore the shape-shifting, color-changing, and ever-evolving nature of this complex organ in our new exhibit, Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity.
Explore the exhibit through pop-up talks by Academy scientists and other experts and get close-up with scientific specimens, including thick-skinned armadillos, rhinoceros, turtles and colorful insects and birds.
Take your new learnings to the aquarium to examine coral reef fish scales, African penguin feathers, translucent glass frogs, and color-changing cuttlefish.
Talk to Academy scientists about their skin-related research, from ocular diseases and the eye’s skin-like epithelial barrier to mites that live on your face.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Embark on a late-night science adventure: NightLife explores the mechanics of flight in the natural world.
Come dressed to go “Under the Sea” and celebrate World Oceans Day and the wonder of coral reefs.
NightLife partners with SF Design Week to explore the many ways design impacts lives, culture, and science.
NightLife gets under your skin with the opening of our newest exhibit!