Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Come out in your Space Suits and get straight up spacey this week as NightLife celebrates cosmo-pioneer Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space.
Space Exploration Talks
7:00pm - Hear from Yonatan Winetraub, cofounder of Space IL, who will talk about his nonprofit organization’s goals to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the Moon and win the Google Lunar XPRIZE.
7:30pm - Learn about the future of space exploration as Wonderfest presents talks from several pioneering scientists in the field. First, catch the SETI Institute's Dr. Pascal Lee as he presents “Mission to Mars: The First Human Journeys to the Red Planet.”
8:30pm - Get an update about the possibilities of human exploration in space from Dr. Christopher P. McKay of NASA Ames Research Center.
Space Cowboys DJ set
(Piazza & Coral Reef)
6:00 - 10:00pm, Groove to an out-of-this-world live DJ set by Space Cowboys, a sonically-inspired SF collective and Burning Man favorite.
Space Inspired Science
6:00 - 10:00pm, Learn about Ninkasi Brewing Company’s Ground Control beer, made with brewer’s yeast that’s been to outer space (and back)*. Then, talk with experts at the Astronomical Society about what you're seeing when you look up. Plus, you can test your space travel literacy with Berkeley Space Science Lab's Space Jeopardy game.
*Ground control beer will be available for purchase at select bars throughout the museum.
6:00 - 10:00pm, At the Project Lab, learn more about the NASA Kepler Mission, designed to survey the Milky Way and discover new habitable planets. The mission’s Jean-Pierre Harrison will also share stories about his wife, Dr. Kalpana Chawla, one of the astronauts who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia accident, and bring some of her photos, medals, and flight gear. Plus, chat with astro-aficionados from Sonoma County’s Robert Ferguson Observatory.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6 – 9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Learn about the future of space exploration as Wonderfest presents several pioneering scientists in the field.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Tonight is a #TBT of epic proportions: Celebrate 10 years of our “new” Academy home for our 10th anniversary!
It’s that time of year—when toothy sharks and thirsty humans unite for a salute to brews with an aquatic twist.
Close out your San Francisco summer with the final NightLife LIVE performance of the year from Kevin Morby.