You're not dreaming—sleepovers are back!
Enjoy a night at the museum with your young explorers: Discover the deepest depths of the oceans, travel to the tops of rainforests, and blast off into outer space at your own private planetarium show.
After milk and cookies, roll out your sleeping bag in an exhibit area like the flooded forest tunnel, Philippine Coral Reef, or even face-to-face with Claude the alligator with albinism!
In the morning, rise-and-shine for breakfast time at the Academy Café—and continue your adventure with complimentary next-day admission to the museum.
Ticket price includes:
- Overnight stay in an exhibit area
- Rainforest access until 8 pm
- Planetarium showings
- Late night snack and early morning breakfast
- Overnight parking in Music Concourse Garage
- Next day admission to the Academy
Available sleepover dates
Sleepovers start at 6 pm and continue until 8 am the following morning.
- Friday, May 6
- Friday, May 20
- Saturday, June 4 (Girl Scout Exclusive)
- Friday, June 17 (S'mores & Snores—adults only!)
Waiver of Liability
The Academy requires each adult and child attending a sleepover to electronically sign a waiver of liability in advance. After buying your tickets, click on the waiver for the date of your sleepover (see below for list of date-specific waivers). For children, the waiver must be signed by the child’s parent or guardian. The waiver of liability must identify the adult who will be responsible for the child during the sleepover. No one can be admitted without having completed their waiver.
The health and safety of Academy staff, guests, and animal residents continues to be our top priority. Please keep the following COVID-19 requirements in mind as you plan your sleepover experience, noting that health and safety policies for sleepovers may be stricter than for regular museum visits:
Sleepover vaccination policy:
- Ages 5-11: Proof of full vaccination OR a negative test result from within 48 hours of the event required
- Ages 12+: Proof of full vaccination required, with booster strongly encouraged (if eligible)
Sleepover mask policy:
- All ages: All guests must wear a well-fitted mask at all times while indoors, except when eating, drinking, and sleeping.
For more information and FAQs, please visit our Health & Safety page.
Please also note that the following activities are prohibited:
- Running, yelling, climbing, or throwing materials of any kind
- Touching, or attempting to frighten the animals in any manner, including tapping on aquariums or other exhibits
- Taking anything out of, or putting anything into, the exhibits
- Using the tanks and/or windows as writing surfaces (they scratch easily)
- Bare feet; shoes or soled slippers must be worn at all times
- Smoking, either in the Academy or Golden Gate Park; including use of smokeless tobacco products
- Bringing in food or drink, except in connection with dietary restrictions
- Using cell phones, except in the case of an emergency
Sleepovers are for children ages 5-17 and their chaperones 25 and older. Unaccompanied children or adults without children are not permitted. There must be at least one chaperone for every five children, and chaperones assume full responsibility for the children in their party. Adults ages 18-24 are welcome to attend, but may not serve as chaperones and must be part of a party with children and designated chaperones 25 and older.
All our events, including Girl Scout-exclusive events, are coed, and we welcome moms, dads, brothers, sisters, and even interested friends as part of your group.
Looking for an adults-only sleepover? Stay tuned—it's coming back in June! Sign up for our newsletter for updates.
Do bring: Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster shot (if applicable), pillow, sleeping bag, toiletries (showers not available), hard-soled shoes/slippers
Do not bring: Flashlights, tents, outside food/drink (unless related to a special diet), coolers, balloons, radios, weapons
Optional: Air mattresses, earplugs, sleep mask
Reminder: Don't forget to complete your online waiver of liability! Each member of your party must fill one out before your sleepover.
After the Sleepover ends at 8 am, the museum must be vacated to prepare for opening. Since next-day admission to the museum is included with your sleepover ticket, feel free to get your hand stamped and re-enter when the building opens to the public for the day.
We do not allow outside food into the Academy during sleepovers, except in connection to a dietary restriction (please contact us in advance to arrange this). Dinner and drinks are available for purchase at the Academy Café from 6–8:30 pm, and a complimentary bedtime snack is available until 9 pm. Breakfast the next day is included.
There are no in/out privileges during the sleepover. If you leave the sleepover for any reason before its conclusion, you may re-enter when the Academy re-opens the next day.
Full payment is due at the time of booking for up to 9 individuals. Groups of 10 or more must pay a non-refundable deposit equal to 50% of the number of the people in their group within 3 business days of booking request. Full payment is due 60 days prior to the event date.
If requested more than 30 days prior to the event, up to 10 tickets of an order may be rescheduled once without penalty. No refunds or transfers to other dates will be given within 30 days of the event date. The Academy reserves the right to cancel any Penguins+Pajamas sleepover at any time.
Book an unforgettable sleepover for a group of 10 or more inquisitive kids! There must be one adult chaperone (age 25+) for every five children ages 5-17. Please note that Penguins+Pajamas is a children’s event—adult-only groups are not permitted.