Learn more about the Ichthyology department.
My research interests and experience are centered on the evolution, ecology and conservation of marine fishes. Accounting for species richness in the sea presents a particular challenge to allopatric models of speciation as many marine organisms have large population sizes, vast geographic ranges, and long pelagic larval phases that potentially connect distant habitats. Furthermore, there is a relative paucity of barriers to dispersal in the oceans with recognized barriers often being porous in nature. Despite conditions that are believed to present few opportunities for speciation, the marine realm hosts incredibility diverse species assemblages prompting the conclusion that natural selection must play an important role in speciation in the sea. For my work I employ an interdisciplinary approach that combines whole genome sequencing, population genomics, and field-based studies to address one of the oldest yet still hotly debated questions in biology: how do species form and specifically what are the roles of geographic isolation, ecological differentiation, sexual selection, and hybridization in the diversification of lineages?
Diversity of the Indo-Pacific Network webpage:
- Bernal MA, Gaither MR, Simison WB, Sellas A, Rocha LA. Introgression and selection lead to mito-nuclear discordance in sympatric sister-species of coral reef fishes (genus Haemulon). Accepted at Molecular Ecology.
- DiBattista JD, Gaither MR, Hobbs J-PA, Rocha LA, Bowen BW (2016) Angelfishes, paper tigers, and the devilish taxonomy of the Centropyge flavissima complex. Journal of Heredity. In Press.
- Meguro Y, Takahashi H, Machida Y, Shirakawa H, Gaither MR, Goto A (2016) Assortative mating and divergent male courtship behaviours between two cryptic species of nine-spined sticklebacks (genus: Pungitius). Behaviour. In Press.
- Gaither MR, Violi B, Gray HWI, Neat F, Drazen JC, Grubbs RD, Roa-Varón A, Sutton TT, Hoelzel A (2016) Depth as a driver of evolution in the deep sea: insights from grenadiers (Gadiformes: Macrouridae) of the genus Coryphaenoides. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 104, 73-82.
- Selkoe KA, Gaggiotti OE, Treml EA, Wren JLK, Donovan M, Bowen BW, Coleman R, Concepcion GT, Craig MT, Daly-Engel TS, DiBattista JD, Eble J, Fernandez-Silva I, Franklin E, Friedlander A, Gaither MR, Gove J, Iacchei M, Jia Y, Rivera MAJ, Rocha LA, Reece J, Skillings D, Santos SR, Szabo Z, Timmers M, Wedding L, Williams GJ, Whitney N, Toonen RJ (2016) The DNA of coral reef biodiversity: predicting and protecting genetic diversity of reef assemblages. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 283 (1829), 20160354.
- Iacchei M, Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ (2016) Testing provincial boundaries for phyllosoma: Rangewide phylogeography of the pronghorn spiny lobster Panulirus penicillatus. Journal of Biogeography, 43(5), 1032-1044.
- Saenz-Agudelo P, DiBattita JD, Piatek MJ, Gaither MR, Harrison HB, Nanninga GB, Berumen ML (2015) Seascape genetics along environmental gradients in the Arabian Peninsula: insights from ddRAD sequencing of anemonefishes. Molecular Ecology, 24, 6241-6255.
- Gaither MR, Bernal MA, Coleman R, Bowen BW, Jones SA, Simison WB, Rocha LA (2015) Genomic signatures of geographic isolation vs. natural selection in coral reef fishes. Molecular Ecology, 7, 1543-1557.
- Gaither MR, Bernal MA, Fernandez-Silva I, Mwale M, Jones SA, Rocha C, Rocha LA (2015) Two deep evolutionary lineages in the circumglobal Glasseye, Heteropriacanthus cruentatus (Teleostei, Priacanthidae) with admixture in the Western Indian Ocean. Journal of Fish Biology, 87, 715-727.
- Leis JM, Meyer O, Hay AC, Gaither MR (2015) A coral-reef fish with large, fast, conspicuous larvae and small, cryptic adults (Teleostei: Apogonidae). Copeia, 103, 78-86.
- Bernal MA, Sinai NL, Rocha C, Gaither MR, Dunker F, Rocha LA (2015) Long-term sperm storage in the Brown banded Bamboo Shark Chiloscyllium punctatum. Journal of Fish Biology, 86, 1171-1176.
- Bernal MA, Floeter SR, Gaither MR, Longo GO, Morais R, Ferreira CEL, Vermeij MJA, Rocha LA (2015) High prevalence of ecto-parasites among coral reef fishes of Curacao. Marine Biodiversity, doi: 10.1007/s12526-015-0322-z.
- Gaither MR, Wagner D (2015) Promiscuous associations: observations of gold-saddle goatfishes in the Chagos Archipelago (Indian Ocean). Bulletin of Marine Science, 91, 321-322.
- Coleman RR, Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Kimokeo B, Staton F, Toonen, RJ (2014) Large-scale introduction of the Indo-Pacific damselfish Abudefduf viagiensis into Hawai‘i promotes genetic swamping of the endemic congener A. abdominalis through introgression. Molecular Ecology, 23, 5552-5565.
- Selkoe KA, Gaggiotti OE, Andrews K, Bernal MA, Bird C, Bolick H, Baums I, Coleman R, Concepcion GT, Craig MT, DiBattista JD, Eble J, Fernandez-Silva I, Gaither MR, Iacchei M, Polato, Nicholas R, Rivera MAJ, Rocha LA, Skillings D, Timmers M, Szabo Z, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ (2014) Emergent patterns of population genetic structure for a coral reef community. Molecular Ecology, 23, 3064-79.
- Gaither MR, Schultz JK, Pyle R, Rocha LA, Bellwood D, Bowen BW (2014) The evolutionary history and phylogeny of pygmy angelfishes (Genus Centropyge). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 74, 38–47.
- Laptikhovsky V, Gaither MR, Black A (2013) A Pacific grenadier Coryphaenoides acrolepis in the South-west Atlantic and environmental changes in the Falkland deep seas. Marine Biodiversity Records, 6, doi:10.1017/S1755267213001061.
- Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ (2013) Population structure in the native range predicts the spread of introduced marine species. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: B, 280: 20130409. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2013.0409.
- Gaither MR, Aeby G, Vignon M, Meguro YI, Rigby M, Runyon C, Toonen RJ, Wood CL, Bowen BW (2013) An invasive fish and the time-lagged spread of its parasite across the Hawaiian Archipelago. PLoS One, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0056940.
- DiBattista JD, Berumen ML, Gaither MR, Rocha LA, Eble JA, Choat JH, Craig MT, Skillings DJ, Bowen BW (2013) After continents divide: comparative phylogeography of reef fishes from the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. Journal of Biogeography, doi: 10.1111/jbi.12068.
- Gaither MR, Randall JE (2013) Reclassification of the Indo-Pacific Hawkfish Cirrhitus pinnulatus (Forster). Zootaxa, 3599, 189-196.
- Gaither MR, Randall JE (2012) On the validity of the Cirrhitid fish genus Itycirrhitus. Aqua: International Journal of Ichthyology, 18, 219-226.
- Gaither MR, Toonen RJ, Bowen BW (2012) Coming out of the starting blocks: Extended lag time rearranges genetic diversity in introduced marine fishes of Hawaiʻi. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: B,doi: 101098/rspb.2012.1481.
- DiBattista JD, Waldrop E, Bowen BW, Schultz JK, Gaither MR, Pyle RL, Rocha LA (2012) Twisted sister species of Pygmy Angelfishes: discordance between taxonomy, coloration, and phylogenetics. Coral Reefs, 31, 839-851.
- Gaither MR, Jones SA, Kelley C, Newman SJ, Sorenson L, Bowen BW (2011) High connectivity in the deepwater snapper Pristipomoides filamentosus (Lutjanidae) across the Indo-Pacific with isolation of the Hawaiian Archipelago. PLoS ONE, 6, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028913.
- Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Bordenave T, Rocha LA, Newman SJ, Gomez JA, van Herwerden L, Craig MT (2011) Phylogeography of the reef fish Cephalopholis argus (Epinephelidae) indicates Pleistocene isolation across the Indo-Pacific Barrier with contemporary overlap in the Coral Triangle. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 11, 189.
- Gaither MR, Szabo Z, Crepeau M, Bird C, Toonen RJ (2011) Preservation of corals in salt-saturated DMSO/EDTA buffer (SSD) is superior to ethanol for PCR experiments. Coral Reefs, 30, 329-333.
- Toonen RJ, Andrews KR, Baums IB, Bird CE, Concepcion GT, Daly-Engel TS, Eble JA, Faucci A, Gaither MR, Iacchei M, Puritz JB, Schultz JK, Skillings DJ, Timmers M, Bowen BW (2011) Defining boundaries for ecosystem-based management: A multispecies case study of marine connectivity across the Hawaiian Archipelago. Journal of Marine Biology, doi: 10.1155/2011/460173.
- Leis JM, Hay AC, Gaither MR (2011) Swimming ability and its rapid decrease at settlement in wrasse larvae (Teleostei: Labridae). Marine Biology, 158, 1239-1246.
- Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ, Planes S, Messmer V, Earle J, Robertson DR (2010) Genetic consequences of introducing two allopatric lineages of Bluestripe Snapper (Lutjanus kasmira) to Hawai‘i. Molecular Ecology, 19, 1107-1121.
- Gaither MR, Toonen RJ, Robertson DR, Planes S, Bowen BW (2010) Genetic evaluation of marine biogeographic barriers: Perspectives from two widespread Indo-Pacific snappers (Lutjanus kasmira and Lutjanus fulvus). Journal of Biogeography, 37, 133-147.
- Gaither MR, Toonen RJ, Sorenson L, Bowen BW (2010) Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers for the Crimson Jobfish, Pristipomoides filamentosus (Lutjanidae). Conservation Genetics Resources, 2, 169-172.
- Gaither MR, Rowan R (2010) The planular symbiosis in Pocillopora damicornis. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 386, 45-53.
- Bowen BW, Gaither MR, Dibattista JD, Iacchei M, Andrews KR, Grant W S, Toonen RJ, Briggs JC (2016) Comparative phylogeography of the ocean planet. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (29), 7962-7969.
- Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Rocha LA, Briggs J (2016) Fishes that rule the world: circumtropical distributions revisited. Fish and Fisheries, 17, 644-679.
- DiBattista JD, Roberts MB, Baird AH, Bouwmeester J, Bowen BW, Coker DJ, Lozano-Cortes DF, Choat H, Gaither MR, Hobbs J-PA, KhalilMT, Kochzius M, Myers RF, Paulay G, Robitzch VSN, Saenz-Agudelo P, Salas E, Sinclair-Taylor TH, Toonen RJ, Westneat MW, Williams ST, Berumen ML (2016) A review of contemporary patterns of endemism for shallow water reef fauna in the Red Sea. Journal of Biogeography, 43, 423-439.
- DiBattista JD, Choat H, Gaither MR, Hobbs J-PA, Lozano-Cortés DF, Myers RF, Paulay G, Rocha LA, Toonen RJ, Westneat MW, Berumen ML (2016) On the origin of endemic species the Red Sea. Journal of Biogeography, 43, 45-53.
- Gaither MR, Rocha LA (2013) Origins of species richness in the Indo-Pacific biodiversity hotspot: evidence for the Center of Overlap hypothesis. Journal of Biogeography, 40, 1638-1648.
- Rocha, LA, Bernal MA, Gaither MR, Alfaro M (2013) Massive Parallel Sequencing: applications for Biogeography. Frontiers in Biogeography, 5(1), fb_16189, http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/7xv39142.
- Bowen BW, Rocha LA, Toonen RJ, Karl SA, Craig MT, DiBattista JD, Eble JA, Gaither MR, Skillings D, Bird CJ (2013) Origins of tropical marine biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 28, 359-366.
- Sheppard CR, Ateweberhan M, Bowen BW, Carr P, Chen CA, Clubbe C, Craig MT, Ebinghaus R, Eble J, Fitzsimmons N, Gaither MR, Gan CH, Gollock M, Guzman N, Graham NA, Harris AR, Keshavmurthy S, Koldewey H, Lundin CG, Mortimer JA, Obura D, Pfeiffer M, Price AR, Purkis S, Raines P, Readman JW, Riegl B, Rogers A, Schleyer M, Seaward MR, Sheppard AL, Tamelander J, Turner JR, Visram S, Vogler C, Vogt S, Wolschke H, Yang JM, Yang SY, Yesson C (2012) Reefs and islands of the Chagos Archipelago, Indian Ocean: why it is the world's largest no-take marine protected area. Aquatic Conservation: marine and freshwater ecosystems, 22, 232-261.
Violi B, Gaither MR, Burns F, Hoelzel AR, Neat F. Assessing ecological and molecular divergence between the closely related ratfishes Hydrolagus pallidus and H.affinis. In review at Journal of Fish Biology.
DiBattista JD, Gaither MR, Hobbs J-PA, Saenz-Agudelo P, Marek JP, Bowen BW, Rocha LA, Choat HJ, McIlwain JH, Priest MA, Sinclair-Taylor TH, Berumen ML. Comparative phylogeography of reef fishes across the Arabian Sea reveals two cryptic lineages. In review at Coral Reefs.
Sheikh RM, Coleman RR, Qadeer MA, Gaither MR, Rigby MC, Shaharom-Harrison FM. A new species of Spirocamallanus (Nematoda: Camallanidae) from Siganid fishes (Perciformes: Siganidae) in Malaysia. In review at Folia Parasitologica.
Bowen BW, Gaither MR, Dibattista JD, Iacchei M, Andrews KR, Grant W S, Toonen RJ, Briggs JC (2016) Comparative phylogeography of the ocean planet. In In the light of evolution X: Comparative phylogeography (eds. Avise JC, Bowen BW, Ayala FJ) National Academies Press, Washington D.C.
Sheppard CRC, Bowen BW, Chen CA, Craig MT, Eble J, Fitzsimmons N, Gaither MR, Gollock M, Keshavmurthy S, Koldewey H, Mortimer JA, Obura D, Pfeiffer M, Rogers AD, Sheppard ALS, Vogler C, Wörheide G, Yang M-C, Yesson C (2013) British Indian Ocean Territory (the Chagos Archipelago): setting, connections and the marine protected area. In Coral Reefs of the United Kingdom Overseas Territories (eds. Rigel BM, Purkis SJ), Springer Netherlands, Heidelberg.
Ph.D., Zoology, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2005-2011
Awarded Excellence in Dissertation Research-University of Hawai‘i Research Council 2011
M.S., Biology, University of Guam, 1995-1999
B.A., Integrated Biology, University of California, Berkeley, 1991-1993
B.A., Environmental Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 1991-1993
Postdoctoral Researcher/Diversity of the Indo-Pacific Network Coordinator, June 2016 – Present
Hawai‘i Institute of Maine Biology; Supervisors: Robert Toonen, Eric Crandall
Postdoctoral Researcher, October 2013 – June 2016
School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Durham University; Supervisor: A. Rus Hoelzel
Postdoctoral Researcher, January 2012 - October 2013
California Academy of Sciences, Ichthyology; Supervisor: Luiz Rocha
Research Associate, October 2013 – present, California Academy of Sciences, Ichthyology
Associate Editor, August 2014 – present, Journal of Biogeography
2016-17 Dongsha Atoll Research Station Research Award ($12,000)
2016 Curtain University Environment and Agriculture Visiting Scholar ($8,000 AUD)
2012-13 California Academy of Sciences Research in Excellence Award (three awards totaling $21,835)
2009-12 University of Hawai‘i Sea Grant ($120,000)
2008 University of Hawai‘i Graduate Student Organization (two awards totaling $1,530)
2008 Sigma Xi ($400)
2007 The Charles H. and Margaret B. Edmonson Research Fund ($1,400)
2007 University of Hawai‘i Arts and Science Advisory Council ($3000)
2006-08 Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation Biology Student Award (four awards totaling $4,800)
2006-08 Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council ($40,890)
2006 Hawai‘i Department of Aquatic Resources ($26,000)
2017-19 NSF DEB: Unraveling the role of hybridization in marine speciation: Anemonefishes as a model group (Co-PI, preliminary proposal submission Jan 2017)
2017-19 NSF Bio Oce: Mapping Hotspots of Genetic Diversity: Evolutionary Resilience of Coral Reef Fishes (Co-PI, proposal submission Feb 2017)
2017-18 Biodiversity Information for Development Grant (€60,000, preliminary proposal pending)
2012-14 California Academy of Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship ($100,000)
2013 Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Independent Research Fellowship (£413,466, Recommended for funding, insufficient funds)
2012-13 John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship ($52,500, awarded but declined)
2010 Soroptimist International Founder Region Fellowship ($7,500)
2016 Master class (Curtin University, AU): I designed and administered a two-hour intensive course on population genomics for PhD students, postdocs, ecologists, and resource managers.
2015 Master class (Durham University, UK); I gave a 2.5 hour introduction to the theory and practice of molecular biology to private company employees that sell molecular products and tools to researchers.
2014-5 Evolution (Durham University, UK); I led the 2 hour long phylogenetics lecture for the undergraduate course in Evolution that included practical exercises using the program MEGA.
2014 Marine Life (KAUST, Saudi Arabia); I gave a guest lecture on next generation sequencing for ecologist to graduate students majoring in marine biology.
2011 Guest Lecturer, Topics in Marine Biology; Topic: Invasive fishes in Hawai‘i, Kapi‘olani College
2010 Guest Lecturer, Marine Biology, Topic: Invasive fishes in Hawai‘i, Windward College
2007 Guest Lecturer, Introduction to Marine Biology, Topic: Invasive fishes in Hawai‘i, University of Hawai‘i
1995-6 Teaching Assistant, Human Anatomy Laboratory, University of Guam
1995-6 Teaching Assistant, Environmental Science Laboratory, University of Guam
1989-0 Teaching Assistant, General Biology Laboratory, College of Alameda
- Professor Benedicta O. MbuOben-visiting scholar from University of Buea, Cameroon; While a postdoc at California Academy of Sciences I provided training in molecular techniques for a fish barcoding project.
- Moises Bernal (University of Texas); Moises is now a postdoc at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. We co-authored five papers together.
- Eva Salas (UC Santa Cruz); Eva is finishing up her PhD and we have co-authored one paper together with plans for future collaborations.
- Hudson Pinheiro (UC Santa Cruz); Hudson has recently completed his PhD.
- Yu-ichiro Meguro (Hokkaido University); Yuro completed his PhD and has co-authored two papers with me with one more in prep.
- Menno de Jong (Durham University); Menno is currently a PhD candidate. We are collaborating on whole genome sequencing experiments on deep-sea grenadiers.
- Richard Coleman (University of Hawai‘i); Richard is not a PhD student at UH and we continue to collaborate with two papers published together.
- Catherine Salter (Durham Universiyt); Cat is now an elementary school teacher in the UK
- Ralph Warner (Durham University); Ralph graduated in 2015 and is now a PhD student at Lincoln University in New Zealand.
- Thomas Keggin (Durham University); Thomas is finishing up his RADSeq project on deep-sea sharks that will result in one co-authored paper.
- Veronica Chaidez (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology); Veronica completed her M.S. degree is now a PhD student at KAUST. We are finishing up a project on hawkfishes together.
- Shelley Jones (University of Hawai‘i); Shelley completed her M.S. in Kinesiology from Humboldt State University in 2012. We co-authored three papers together.
- Bethany Kimokeo (University of Hawai‘i); Beth is now a teacher at Kamehameha High School. We co-authored one paper together.
- Tiana-Rae Bordenave (Hawai‘i Pacific University); Tiana has a successful career as a flight attendant. We co-authored one paper together.
- Laurie Sorenson (Hawai‘i Pacific University); Laurie went on to get her PhD and is a successful scientist. We co-authored two papers together.
- Matthew Dale (Durham University); Matt is now a PhD student at Nottingham University in the UK.
- Biagio Violi (Durham University summer intern); Biagio is now a PhD student at the University of Genoa in Italy. We have one manuscript in review.
2016 Workshop Instructor and organizer, Second International Workshop of the Diversity of the Indo-Pacific Network (DIPnet), Manila, Philippines, July 25th -29th
2015 Workshop Instructor, First International Workshop of the Diversity of the Indo-Pacific Network, Denpasar, Indonesia, August 3rd-7th
2015 Workshop Instructor, Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Molecular Biology, Voicetric Inc., Durham University
2014 Workshop Instructor, Restriction Associated DNA sequencing, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia (September 2014)
2013 Workshop Instructor, Restriction Associated DNA sequencing, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia
2013 California Academy of Sciences, Chat with a Scientist
2012-13 California Academy of Sciences, Oceans “Nightlife” presenter
2010-11 School of Ocean and Earth Science & Technology Public Open House, University of Hawai‘i
2010 Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve Lecture Program, Alien fishes in Hawai‘i
2008 Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve Lecture Program, Ta’ape and Roi: the visitors that never left
2015, Dec 31stDiscover Magazine, Science Sushi, “What does it take to rule the world” http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/science-sushi/2015/12/30/what-it-takes-to-rule-the-marine-world-circumtropical-fish/#.Vps7HvmLTIV
2015, Mar 9thThe Molecular Ecologist, “Speciation by selection (and drift) in the sea” http://www.molecularecologist.com/2015/03/speciation-by-selection-and-drift-in-the-sea/
2015, Jan 28th Scientific American, “Long-term sperm: Shark gives birth 4 years after contact with male” http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-term-sperm-shark-gives-birth-4-years-after-contact-with-male/
2015, Jan 16th Science Alert, “This is how a shark gave birth after not mating for almost four years,” http://www.sciencealert.com/this-shark-gave-birth-after-not-mating-for-almost-four-years
2015, Jan 9th BBC Earth, "Shark sets new sperm storage record," http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150109-shark-sperm-storage-record
2014 Popular article, “A Dwarf Angel Family Tree,” CORAL Magazine 12 (2), 40-47, Joe Rowlett. http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/03/12/coral-magazine-table-of-contents-marapr-2015/
2012, Aug 20th redOrbit.com, “From invader to dominator: understanding the new species in a habitat,” http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112678686/invasive-fish-species-082012/
2012, Aug 28th Hawai‘i Public Radio, “Alienating the alien nation,” on The Conversation with Beth-Ann Kozolovich, (minute 36:25)
2010 News and Views Article, “Where are they now? The fates of two genetic lineages in an introduced Hawaiian reef fish,”Molecular Ecology 19, 1073-1074, Joseph E. Neigel, PhD
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
2016 University of the Philippines, Evolution in the marine realm
2016 Curtin University, Evolution of deep-sea fishes
2015 Florida State University, From genes to genomes: phylogeography and evolution of marine fishes
2015 Fresno State University, Evolution and phylogeography of the ocean planet
2013 Durham University, Phylogeography: from genes to genomes
2013 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Phylogeography and the evolution of marine fishes
2013 Bangor University, Exploring species richness in the sea: a comparative genomics approach
2013 NOVA Southeastern University, Evolution of marine fishes
2012 California Academy of Science, How phylogeography informs invasion biology: lessons from Hawaiian fish introductions
2010 Soroptimist International Founder Region Annual Meetings, Honolulu, Molecular Ecology of Marine Fishes
2007 Evolunch Lecture Series, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Genetic evaluation of the Lutjanus kasmira introduction to Hawai‘i
2006 Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council Bottomfish Meetings, Honolulu, Genetic stock structure in the deep water snappers opakakapaka, ehu, and onaga in Hawai‘i
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (*Invited)
2016 Gaither MR, Gkafas G, Violi B, de Jong M, Hoelzel AR. The genomics of adaptation in the deep sea. Western Society of Naturalists, Monterey, USA.
2016 *Bowen BW, Gaither MR, Dibattista JD, Iacchei M, Andrews KR, Grant W S, Toonen RJ, Briggs JC. Comparative phylogeography of the ocean planet. Arthur M. Sackler Colloquia, In The Light of Evolution X: Comparative Phylogeography, UC Irving, USA.
2015 *Gaither MR, Violi B, Hoelzel AR. Evolution in the deep-sea. Meeting of the Challenger Society, Deep-Sea Science in the UK: Building a Community of the Future, Liverpool, UK.
2015 Riginos C, Crandall E, Gaither MR, Liggins L, Connolly S.R., Bird C. Emergent patterns of genetic diversity across the tropical Indo-Pacific Ocean. The 52nd Australian Marine Science Association (AMSA) Annual Conference, Geelong, AU.
2014 Iacchei M, Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen R. Testing provincial boundaries for Phyllosoma: rangewide phylogeography of the Pronghorn Spiny Lobster Panulirus penicillatus. The 3rd Asia-Pacific Coral Reef Symposium, Pingtung, Taiwan.
2014 Coleman RR, Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Kimokeo B, Staton F, Toonen, RJ. Large-scale introduction of the Indo-Pacific damselfish Abudefduf viagiensis into Hawaii promotes genetic swamping of the endemic congener A. abdominalis through introgression. The 3rd Asia-Pacific Coral Reef Symposium, Pingtung, Taiwan.
2014 DiBattista J, Saenz-Agudelo P, Piatek M, Hussey N, Kessel S, Rocha L, Bowen B, Choat H, Gaither MR, Priest M, Sinclair‐Taylor T, Braun C, Berumen M. Genetic connectivity of reef fishes among inshore and offshore reef systems in Sudan and its relationship to neighboring reefs across the Red Sea. The 3rd Asia-Pacific Coral Reef Symposium, Pingtung, Taiwan.
2014 Bernal MA, Gaither MR, Simison WB, Sellas A, Rocha LA. Smells like fish species: massively parallel sequencing supports sympatric speciation of coral reef fishes (genus: Haemulon). Evolution Conference, Raleigh, USA.
2013 *Gaither MR, Colman R, Bernal MA, Bowen BW, Jones SA, Rocha LA. The convoluted evolutionary relationships among species of the Orangeband Surgeonfish complex: Using next-generation sequencing to resolve species’ histories. 9th Indo-Pacific Fish Conference, Okinawa, Japan.
2012 Gaither MR, Pyle R, Schultz J, Bellwood D, Rocha L, DiBattista J, Bowen B. Evolution of the pygmy angelfishes: recent divergences, introgression, and the usefulness of color in fish taxonomy. 1st Joint Conference on Evolutionary Biology, Ottawa, Canada.
2012 DiBattista JD, Berumen M, Gaither MR, Rocha L, Skillings D, Bowen BW. When continents divide: Comparative phylogeography of reef fishes from the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. 1st Joint Conference on Evolutionary Biology, Ottawa, Canada.
2012 Colman R, Gaither MR, Kimokeo B, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ. Hybridization between the Hawaiian endemic sergeant, Abudefduf abdominalis, and the introduced Indo-Pacific sergeant, Abudefduf vaigiensis (poster). 1st Joint Conference on Evolutionary Biology, Ottawa, Canada.
2011 Gaither MR, Jones SA, Kelley C, Newman SJ, Sorenson L, Bowen BW. Connectivity Among the Deep Water Fishes of the Hawaiian Archipelago. America Fisheries Society 141st Annual Meeting, Seattle, USA.
2011 *Gaither MR. The utility of nuclear introns in hybrid identification: three case studies. Pacific Science Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
2011 Fernandez-Silva I, Andrews KR, Gaither MR, Snelgrove BN, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ. Towards ecosystem-based management in Hawaii: Insights into genetic connectivity in a multispecies comparison (poster). Smithsonian National Museum of National History sponsored: Evolution of life on Pacific Islands and Reefs: Past, Present, and Future, Honolulu, USA.
2010 Gaither MR, Toonen RJ, Bowen BW. Phylogeography as a predictor of success in marine invasions: a Hawaiian case study. Evolution Conference, Portland, USA.
2010 Gaither MR, Bowen B, Toonen R, Planes S, Messmer V, Earle J, Robertson R. Genetic consequences of introducing allopatric lineages of Bluestriped Snapper (Lutjanus kasmira) to Hawaii (poster). American Genetic Association Annual Symposium, Conservation Genomics, Hilo, USA.
2009 *Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ, Planes S, Robertson DR. Endemism among Marquesan shore fishes: Genetic perspectives from two widespread Indo-Pacific snappers (Lutjanus spp). 8th Indo Pacific Fish Conference, Perth, AU.
2009 Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Bordenave T, Craig MT. Indo-Pacific Barrier: where is the line? (poster). 8th Indo Pacific Fish Conference, Perth, AU.
2009 Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ, Planes S, Robertson DR. Endemism in Marquesan shore fishes: A case study of Indo-Pacific snappers. 4th Biennial Meeting of the International Biogeography Society, Merida, Mexico.
2008 Gaither MR, Toonen RJ, Bowen BW. The Hawaiian fish introductions: what makes a good invader? Hawai‘i Conservation Conference, Honolulu, USA
2008 Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ, Planes S, Robertson DR. Genetic evaluation of the fish introductions in Hawai‘i: using biogeography to explain invasion success. 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft Lauderdale, USA.
2008 Gaither MR, Choat H, Messmer V, Planes S, Robertson R, Toonen R, Bowen B. The Lutjanus kasmira introduction to Hawaii: using genetics to study an invasion (poster). 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft Lauderdale, USA.
2006 Gaither MR. Genetic evaluation of the ta’ape (Lutjanus kasmira) introduction in Hawai‘I Albert L Tester Memorial Symposium. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Honolulu, USA.
2006 Gaither MR, Bowen BW, Toonen RJ, Planes S, Robertson DR. Genetic evaluation of the ta’ape introduction in Hawaii: preliminary data. Joint Meeting of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, New Orleans, USA.
2013 - present Member, Diversity of the Indo-Pacific Network-An international network to build infrastructure that will facilitate collaboration among Indo-Pacific researchers.
2013 - 2016 Organizer and member, Adaptation and drift in the deep sea working group-created to increase communication between researchers and resource managers. Virtual meeting are held on an annual basis.
2013 - 2016 Member, Research Staff Forum, Durham University, Biomedical and Biological Sciences- aimed at facilitating communication between academic and research staff.
- Proposals reviewed for: NSF (2; Biological Oceanography Program), NOAA (2) , The South African National Research Foundation (2)
- 60+ manuscripts reviewed for: Annals of Aquaculture and Research, Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, Biological Invasions, Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Conservation Genetics, Diversity and Distributions, Ecology and Evolution, Environmental Biology of Fishes, Evolution, Genetica, Fisheries Research, Heredity, ICES Journal of Marine Science, Integrative and Comparative Biology, Journal of Biogeography, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Journal of Fish Biology, Journal of Heredity, Journal of Marine Biology, Marine Biology, Marine and Freshwater Research, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Molecular Ecology, Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, PLoS ONE, Proceedings of the Royal Society B
- Poster/talk reviewer for the Western Society of Naturalist Meeting, November 2016, Monterey, CA
- Book abstract reviewed for: Bentham Science Publishers
2015 Nikki Phair MSc thesis “Population genetic structure of the seagrass Zostera capensis and modelling future distributions under climate and anthropogenic change scenarios“ University of Stellenbosch
MARINE EXPEDITIONS AND COLLECTIONS
2016 Dongsha Atoll, Taiwan; 14 days based at the Dongsha Atoll Research Station; Role: grant writer, organizer and collector
2015 Hebrides, Scotland, United Kingdom; 12 days on the M/V Scotia for survey of deep-sea habitat and sample collection; Role: organizer and collector
2013 Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; 7 days based at the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology; Role: collector
2013 Chagos Archipelago, Indian Ocean; 18 days on the M/V Pacific Marlin; Role: grant writer, lead, and collector
2013 Curaçao, Caribbean; 12 days based at the Caribbean Research and Management of Biodiversity (CARMABI) Research Institute; Role: grant writer and organizer
2011 Farasan Islands, Thuwal, & Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; 14 days land based; Role: collector
2010 Main Hawaiian Islands; 11 days land based; Role: grant writer, lead, and collector
2010 Moorea and Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia; 35 days land based; Role: grant writer, lead, and collector
2010 Palmyra Atoll; 28 days land based; Role: co-lead, organizer, collector
2009 Northwest Hawaiian Islands; 18 days on the NOAA R/V Hi’ialakai; Role: organizer and collector
2008 Samoa & Phoenix Islands; 21 days on the R/V Bounty Bay; Role: grant writer, organizer and collector
2007 Northwest Hawaiian Islands; 44 days on the NOAA R/V Hi’ialakai; Role: organizer and collector
2007 Moorea, Society Islands; 7 days based at the Le Centre de Recherches Insulaires et Observatoire de l’Environnement (CRIOBE); Role: collector
2006 Kiritimati Island, Line Islands; 10 days land based; Role: collector
1998 Bahamas; 31 days based at the Lee Stocking Island Research Station; Role: field assistant
RELEVANT NON-ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
After completing my M.S. I worked in resource management and in technical positions for six years
2004-05 Marine Technician, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, CA. Supervised deck operations while at sea and assembled, operated, and maintained sampling equipment
2003 Salmon Hatchery Technician, Southeast Aquaculture Association, AK. Performed inspection of hatchery, collected brood stock, maintained and fed fish, and administered drug treatments
2000-01 Lobster Restoration Project Manager, DeAlteris Associates, Inc, RI. Recruited and trained commercial lobsterman to participate in the North Cape Lobster Restoration project
1999-00 Fisheries Observer, Professional & Technical Services, Inc, VA. Acted as a shipboard agent of the National Marine Fisheries Service, documented catch composition and fishing effort
1987-93 United States Army Reserves 801st Engineering Company, Carpentry/Masonry Specialist, Oakland, CA (Honorably Discharged)
UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Personal Survival Techniques, 2015
PADI Dry Suit Diver, 2013
NOAA Certified Boat Coxswain, 2007
NAUI Dive Master, 1997
AAUS Scientific Diver, 1996
American Association of Underwater Scientists
American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (Active)
American Genetics Association
American Society of Naturalists
Challenger Society (Active)
Graduate Women in Science Alpha Lambda Chapter
International Biogeography Society
Western Society of Naturalists (Active)
Daniel M. Cohen
David A. Ebert
Program Director / Adjunct Faculty
Pacific Shark Research Center, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
Mark Van N. Erdmann
Conservation International Indonesia Marine Program
Carl J. Ferraris
Michelle R. Gaither
David W. Greenfield
Emeritus Professor, Univ. of Hawaii
Robert N. Lea
Douglas J. Long
Catherine W. Mecklenburg
Point Stephens Research
Rita S. Mehta
Assistant Professor University of California, Santa Cruz
David A. Neely
William J. Poly
Stuart G. Poss
The Department of Ichthyology is home to one of the largest and most important collections of fishes in the world, and is designated as one of eight International Centers for Ichthyology in North America. Meet the researchers, explore projects and expeditions, and more.