Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
From the rare and weird to the historically important and just plain cool, Collectible NightLife celebrates the art of collecting.
Get lost in cabinets of curiosities as Emily Graslie, Chief Curiosity Correspondent for The Field Museum in Chicago and creator and host of the YouTube show, “The Brain Scoop,” shares tales and #fails from her time working in one of the largest natural history collections in the world.
See our scientific collections in a whole new light as photographer Susan Middleton shows off some of her most stunning images of the Academy’s specimens. Throughout the Academy, some of the Bay Area’s most prolific collectors show off their wares.
History buffs will marvel at Schein & Schein’s antique maps and books and learn about the city’s west side with the Western Neighborhood Project’s collection of historical ephemera from the outside lands. Watch 16 mm films with film collector Jon Bastian in the Philippine Coral Reef and browse Western Relics Records’ vintage vinyl collection while a vinyl battle rages in the piazza, pitting DJ Tanoa versus Tom LG.
Elsewhere, check out comic books and art from Mission: Comics and Art, appreciate the sparkle of some of the San Francisco Gem and Mineral Society’s finest specimens, and perhaps raise an eyebrow (or two) while learning about Good Vibrations’ collection of antique vibrators and viewing Loved to Death’s taxonomic oddities.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Show us yours and we’ll show you ours—collections that is! This week, NightLife salutes the art of collecting.
Get straight up spacey this week as NightLife celebrates cosmo-pioneer Yuri Gagarin. Music by Space Cowboys.
Get your late night science fix with a celebration of the best of the Academy.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.