Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Go straight up spacey this week as NightLife celebrates cosmo-pioneer Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
(Piazza & Coral Reef)
6:00 - 10:00pm, Groove to an out-of-this-world live DJ set by Space Cowboys, a sonically-inspired SF collective and Burning Man favorite. Here's the lineup:
6:00 pm—Ben Anderson
8:00 pm—Kapt N' Kirk
9:00 pm—DJ ShOOey
Blackholes and Beyond
7:00 - 10:00pm
- 7:00pm, Catch the sure-to-fascinate talk about what it takes for astronomers to study supermassive black holes—and how citizen scientists can help—from Professor Kevin Schawinski of ETH Zurich.
- 8:00pm, Hear a space-tastic presentation from planetary scientist Dr. Franck Marchis from the SETI Institute about the search for life on Exoplanets.
- 9:00pm, Life beyond Earth? The search continues. Find out the latest science from renowned astronomer Dr. Jill Tarter.
Satellites in Space
6:00 - 10:00pm, Explore the structure and diversity of planetary systems with NASA Kepler via the Kepler Mission and learn about the largest fleet of Earth Imaging satellites from Planet Labs.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Take a moon-walk through the Project Lab and check out brand new innovations in Space travel and Space tech.
- Speak to the experts from Robert Ferguson Observatory about sky observations and how they lead to future space travel developments.
- Walk though the solar system and experience the scale of the planets with a new app created by SF State students using Google’s Project Tango technology.
- Learn more about the search for life on other planets with SETI Institute.
FOOD & DRINK
A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace located in the West Garden, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby. Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight! All bars accept cash and credit cards.
6:00-7:45 pm, Osher Rainforest—explore a lush, four-story rainforest that's teeming with life.
6:00-10:00 pm, Discover a world of dazzling live animals and shimmering scientific specimens in Color of Life
Please note: Planetarium seating is limited . Admission is available to NightLife guests on a first-come, first-served basis. No passes required. We recommend arriving 20 minutes prior to showtime.
PLEASE BE ADVISED
Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Get ready for an evening of sparkling, shimmering science with the new Gems and Minerals exhibit.
NightLife LIVE performances by Dan Deacon and Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, presented by Treasure Island Music Festival
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife hosts an evening of yoga inside the greenest museum on the plane
The creatures come out at night as NightLife joins forces with the Bay Area Science Festival!
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.