Experience your own night at the museum! Explore the exhibits after-hours and discover the deepest depths of the oceans, travel to the tops of rainforests, blast off into outer space at your own private planetarium show, and then settle in for story time after snacking on milk and cookies.
When the lights go out, roll out your sleeping bag next to the swaying kelp of the California Coast tank, or even at the Swamp window, face-to-face with Claude, the albino alligator. In the morning, rise and shine, then head over to the Academy Café for breakfast.
- Friday, November 13, 2015
- Friday, January 15, 2016
- Friday, February 12, 2016
- Saturday, February 27, 2016 (Boy Scout Exclusive)
- Saturday, March 12, 2016 (Boy Scout Exclusive)
- Friday, April 8, 2016 (Girl Scout Exclusive)
- Friday, April 29, 2016 (Girl Scout Exclusive)
- Friday, May 27, 2016
- Saturday, June 18, 2016
$89 per person for members
$109 per person for non-members
- Overnight stay in one of our exhibit areas
- Live-animal demonstrations
- Osher Rainforest access until 8 pm
- Planetarium showings
- Evening snack and breakfast
- Overnight parking in Music Concourse Garage
- Next day admission to the Academy
Admission to Penguins+Pajamas sleepovers begins at 6 pm, and the event ends at 8 am the following day. Penguins+Pajamas is a program for children between the ages of 5 and 17; children must be accompanied by a chaperone who is 25 or older. One adult chaperone is required for every group of up to five children and adults cannot attend unless there is a child in their party. Similarly, no unaccompanied children may participate in a sleepover. Click read to read our Guidelines and Safety Rules.
What do I need to bring to the sleepover?
The Academy requires a signed Waiver of Liability form for each adult and each child attending a sleepover. For children, the Waiver must be signed by the child’s parent or guardian. The Waiver of Liability must identify the adult who will be responsible for the child during the sleepover. Only original Waivers will be accepted; no faxes or copies. No one can be admitted without a completed Waiver. Click here for a checklist of what to bring to the Academy for the sleepover.
Can I stay at the Academy the next morning?
After the Sleepover ends at 8 am, if you would like to spend the day at the Academy you may get your hand stamped and re-enter when the building opens for the day.
Can I bring my own food?
We do not allow outside food into the Academy during sleepovers, except in connection to a dietary restriction (please contact us in advance to arrange this). Dinner and drinks are available for purchase at the Academy Café from 6–9 pm. A bedtime snack and breakfast the next day are included.
Can I leave at any time during the sleepover?
There are no in/out privileges during the sleepover. If you leave the sleepover for any reason before its conclusion, you may re-enter when the Academy re-opens the next day.
Where can I park?
Garage parking is included; bring your ticket with you for validation. Please note that there is no overnight street parking (as per Golden Gate Park regulations) and that the garage is not operated by the Academy.
- A minimum of 30 days prior to the event is required for reductions to final numbers or cancellation.
- Groups cancelling 30 days or more prior to the event will receive a full refund. Refunds will be processed in the same form as the original payment.
- Groups cancelling within 30 days of the event will forfeit an amount equal to 50% of the full balance prior to cancellation.
- No refunds or credit will be provided for groups that reduce their numbers within 30 days of the event. No refunds or credit will be provided for groups that arrive with fewer people than original booking on the day of event.
Book an unforgettable sleepover for a group of 10 or more inquisitive kids! There must be one adult chaperone (age 25+) for every five children ages 5 to 17. Please note that Penguins+Pajamas is a children's event—adult-only groups are not permitted.
You may preorder and prepay for your Penguins+Pajamas t-shirts, patches, water bottles, and more.
Find your exclusive P+P Sleepover professional photos and turn them into postcards or posters!
A huge thanks to our media sponsor.