Join us at CSTA next weekend!
Academy staff from our Teacher Professional Development team will be presenting three separate workshops at CSTA 2015. Can you spot any patterns?
Exploring Biodiversity and Engaging in Argument From Evidence
Oct 2nd, 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Join us to explore how the Practice of Engaging in Argument from Evidence can be used to understand biodiversity. We’ll demonstrate how various classroom-ready strategies can be used to facilitate students engaging in argument from evidence to understand scientific phenomena.
- Ben Lavender, Senior Manager of Teacher Professional Development, California Academy of Sciences
- Kathryn Danielson, Teacher Educator and Resource Coordinator, California Academy of Sciences
Evolution Through Food: An Engaging and Edible Approach to Understanding the Mechanisms of Natural Selection Using the NGSS practices
Oct 3rd, 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Take part in a workshop that brings evolution to life! These hands-on activities explore genetic variation, natural selection, and adaptation affordably and easily. Learn ways to make these ideas more concrete for your students, while gaining experience with NGSS practices.
- Shumit DasGupta, Teacher Educator and Instructional Coach, California Academy of Sciences
- Sarah Soule, Senior Manager of Teacher Professional Development, California Academy of Sciences
Books as a Bridge to the Science and Engineering Practices
Oct 3rd, 4:35 pm - 5:35 pm
We will explore children’s books that tell the stories of scientists and their work, highlighting the Science and Engineering Practices of the NGSS. Leave the workshop with new strategies for merging science time and reading time.
- Amelia Rosenman, Teacher Educator and Instructional Coach, California Academy of Sciences
- Clea Matson, Teacher Educator and Instructional Coach, California Academy of Sciences