The application for the 2023-2024 school year is now open! Field trips are available from September 5, 2023 - May 31, 2024.
© Mario Sánchez Prada
Each year, more than 1,600 schools visit the Academy on a field trip. School field trips are available for formal school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool, on a trip with their classroom teacher. Bring one class, or the entire grade!
School field trip reservations are available for formal California school groups of students in grades pre-K through 12, including preschool.
- Field trips occur when your school is in session, with classroom teacher(s) in attendance.
- To receive the school group rate, you must bring more than 10 people on your field trip, entering the building together at one time, adhering to chaperone ratios and other relevant policies.
- San Francisco school groups receive free admission during the academic year.
- For other California school groups, pricing is a discounted flat rate of $14.95 per person, regardless of Title I status.
- Eligibility for these free or discounted rates is at the discretion of the Academy, as subsidized admission is available thanks to generous annual donations to the Academy for All initiative, many of which have restrictions.
- Payment must be received in full at least two weeks prior to your visit date, although you may modify your headcount before submitting payment. We accept mailed checks or payment by credit card over the phone to 877-227-3311.
- More details can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.
- You'll sign these School Group Guidelines on the morning of your field trip.
Generally, field trips can be scheduled on most dates with the exception of holidays and school breaks. Your school's academic calendar plays a role: a field trip must occur on a school day, not on weekends, afterschool, or during any dates that are off for students.
For those interested in reserving seats in the Morrison Planetarium for your school group, be sure to review the calendar of student shows to select a date when a grade-appropriate show is playing. Seats are limited; reservations for schools usually book by the end of December for dates through the following May.
For additional planning tips and day-of resources, visit our Plan a Field Trip page.
Find a reserved program
This show for students in grades 3-5 is offered on select weekdays at 10:30 am throughout the school year.
This show for students in grades 6-8 is offered on select Wednesdays at 10:30 am from October to February.
A supernova turns a star inside out, scattering an abundance of elements into space. Cassiopeia A is one such supernova remnant, and this visualization shows a computer simulation of that object, replicating a view in x-rays.
Image credit: California Academy of Sciences / Salvatore Orlando, Università Ca’ Foscari Venezia
Journey across space and time as we explore the remnants of stellar explosions to trace how elements form.
The Rock Fund Program is open to K-5 classes in the city of San Francisco. This unique opportunity includes free field trip programming and needs-based transportation scholarships.
Schools in 9 Bay Area counties with 70%+ FRPM population
Low-income schools in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, and SF
Oakland public or charter schools
The School Field Trips program is generously supported by an a Anonymous donor, Genentech, Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education, Jacques M. Littlefield Foundation, and Koret Foundation. Additional support is provided by the Academy’s local business donors.