Concerned about science education during COVID? We've got your class covered!
The Rock Fund Program is open to all kindergarten - 5th grade classes from San Francisco schools, whether public, private, or parochial.
Our goal is to connect and support all students, teachers, and schools in science education in a way that students feel that science and nature are for them, and can see how science and nature are relevant to their lives and communities.
In lieu of in-person field trips during this spring semester, we have devised a menu of live online programs.
If you have not yet participated in a program this school year, please email us at email@example.com to request your free program from one of the options below. We will do our best to schedule a program on a date and time that works well for your class.
Each program is taught by a professional educator who converses directly with your students via webcam and microphone. Students will also interact with educators through polls, chat box and hands-on activities, as age appropriate.
Teachers may opt to join the Academy Zoom Room or our educators can join your classroom's Zoom room once you allow permission.
- Nature is a muse that inspires artists and scientists to imagine, design and create their work. Students will find their own inspiration from nature, and learn how to scientifically sketch a natural object.
- Discover how the unique adaptations of African Penguins help them to survive in their ocean habitat. Students will waddle and swim like a penguin while observing our live penguin colony.
- Although skulls can't talk, they can communicate a lot! Students will become Science Detectives, seeking out clues to identify the animal skulls, and collect evidence about what adaptations help them survive in their environments.
- Looking closely at various personal and scientific collections, students explore ways that scientists share information by diving deeper into the how and why of scientific sketching.
Recordings from past webinars remain accessible at the program webpages below, if you are looking for additional content or wish to use the videos asynchronously.
- Mission to the Moon
- Pierre the Penguin
- Waddle Like a Penguin
- Penguins: Will You Be My Valentine?
- Art & Science
- Science Storytime: Shine and Seek
Teaching classes in person with your students? If you are interested in having Academy educators come teach in an outdoor space at or near your San Francisco school with physical distancing protocols in place, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Enhanced Museum Visits for Students Program is generously supported by the Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock Fund.