Dates for next school year are now available! To apply, prepare up to 5 preferred visit dates and prioritize your program choices.
Free bus transportation is provided for 4th and 5th grade classes in San Francisco!
Your class will get an interactive science experience led by Academy educators.
And be sure to join us for Family Nights in spring 2019.
The Rock Fund Program is open and free for all 4th and 5th grade classes in San Francisco. Our goal is to level the playing field in science education. Students, and the teachers and families who support them, get FREE quality science and sustainability education experiences.
The Rock Fund Program is open to all 4th and 5th grade classes in the city of San Francisco, including public, private, and parochial schools. Each of the following features is designed to support participation:
- FREE field trip bus transportation for school groups not within walking distance
- FREE educational field trip programs* led by professional educators
- FREE teacher workshops and hands-on classroom resources
*We have Bilingual Educators! Let us know if any students or chaperones in your class might benefit from activities taught in: Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish.
Select from the following program options that connect to NGSS content at your grade level:
- Wednesdays: San Francisco Geology
- Thursdays: New! Physical Science Program (stay tuned for details!)
- Thursdays: Earthquake
- Mondays: African Ecosystems
- Tuesdays: Plants & Carbon
- Thursdays: Motions of the Solar System; with special presentations in Mandarin and Spanish
Want to know more about science and how to teach it in your classroom? Teachers who participate in the Rock Fund Program may take one workshop for free each school year.
- Check out our professional development opportunities.
Did you know there are many ways to utilize the Academy's resources in your own classroom? You can:
- download free lessons
- participate in free live online educational program
- borrow a materials kit (one free kit rental per Rock Fund teacher per year)
Bilingual Field Trip Days
Consider attending on the following dates, in addition to your one free Rock Fund Field Trip per year. Fill out another field trip application to attend on one of these dates, without applying as part of the Rock Fund Program.
Because these events are held outside of the Rock Fund Program, you will be responsible for transportation costs, but admission for San Francisco schools is free!
To connect families with fun learning opportunities outside of the classroom, the Rock Fund program also provides the following perks:
- A pass entitling each student unlimited free admission through August 31, 2019
- A one-time free family pass to the Academy, and a bilingual activity book for each student
- Free Family Nights held in spring 2019 at the Academy, with multilingual options
Interested in serving as a teacher liaison for your school for one of our Spring Family Nights? Let us know.
Helpful resources for planning your group's visit to the Academy.
The Enhanced Museum Visits for Students Program is generously supported by the Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock Fund.