The Lepidoptera Course will run August 4—14th, 2023. Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.
The course is designed for students, amateur naturalists, conservation biologists, and other biologists who have an interest in learning more about butterfly and moth taxonomy. It will emphasize taxonomy, ecology, and field identification of lepidopterans in Southeastern Arizona. Lectures will include background information on the morphology, biology, and ecology of animals and their importance in pollination biology. Field trips will provide participants with collecting, sampling, and observation techniques; and lab work will provide instruction on specimen identification, preparation, dissection, and labeling.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 3, 2023. If accepted, fees are due by July 17, 2023.
- John Brown, Instructor
- Richard Brown, Instructor
- Charley Eiseman, Instructor
- Chris Grinter, Instructor, organizer
- Ron Rutowski, Instructor
- Bruce Walsh, Organizer
- Ray Nagle, Visiting Instructor
Costs for 2023: $1,750 fee covers tuition, shared dormitory housing, and meals. After February 1, and upon acceptance, a $100 deposit is required to reserve your place in the course. The balance payment must be made upon arrival at SWRS.
Cancellation Policy: With at least 45 days advance notice from the course start date, deposits will be refunded, less a $20 cancellation fee. No deposits will be refunded with less than 45 days notice.
Payment can be made with a personal check, certified check, or money order, made payable to SWRS.
- Credit card payments are also possible but we ask that you keep in mind that the Station is a non-profit organization and fees for credit card charges continue to increase.
- If you reside outside the United States: please submit your payment in the form of a certified check, money order, or bank transfer in U.S. Dollars or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain details for a bank transfer to SWRS.
Costs for travel to SWRS are to be borne by all participants. As participants register, we can facilitate participants contacting each other to carpool to and from the station.
For logistics or information about the SWRS you may contact:
attn: Lepidoptera Course Registration, Southwest Research Station, PO Box 16553 Portal, Arizona 85632 E-mail: email@example.com; Phone: (520) 558-2396
For course information you may contact:
Chris Grinter, California Academy of Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org, ph: (415) 379-5320
See photos, students, and instructors from past years.
Identification guides, references, supplies, etc.