Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
DJ set by Britt Govea of (((folkYEAH!)))
Can't stand the heat? Desert NightLife is a cool way to explore the unique animals and resilient plants of the world's wild, arid ecosystems.
Schedule of Events
7 & 8 pm
- Learn about some of the amazing adaptations of various desert-dwelling lizards, snakes, and tortoises with live animal presentations by experts from the East Bay Vivarium.
Smoke & Succulents
7:30 & 8:30 pm
- At 7:30, hear a live talk from Cactus Jungle and learn what it takes to grow your own prickly garden.
- At 8:30, develop your amor of mezcal with the enthusiasts from Mezcalistas. They’ll share everything they know about its history, how it’s made, and their personal tasting notes for this Mexican agave-based spirit.
6 – 10 pm
- Cactus lovers can marvel at Cactus Jungle’s display of desert plants and ask them anything about local flora, succulents, and drought-tolerant plants.
- Learn how cultures adapted to desert climates around the world with objects on display from the Academy’s anthropology collection.
- Feel the desert vibe with projections from classic Westerns and desert landscapes throughout the building, and check out some of the desert’s most fascinating mineral specimens, courtesy of the San Francisco Gem and Mineral Society.
Philippine Coral Reef
6 – 10 pm
- Drop into the Philippine Coral Reef to check out vintage 16mm projections of untamed desert terrain and classic Western films.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Some of the most powerful telescopes on our planet sit high in the Chilean desert.
Upcoming NightLife Events
It’s that time of year—when toothy sharks and thirsty humans unite for a salute to brews with an aquatic twist.
Close out your San Francisco summer with the final NightLife LIVE performance of the year from Kevin Morby.
Explore the mysteries beyond our solar system with a night dedicated to the search for extraterrestrials.
The creatures come out at NightLife as the Academy transforms into an outrageous night of supernatural science.