Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Fungus Among Us NightLife
Music by DJ Sep (Dub Mission)
Step into the wonderful world of mushrooms at this annual NightLife favorite, where you’ll learn how to spot, ID, grow, and cook mushrooms alongside fellow fungi enthusiasts.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Talks: Wondrous Fungus
At 7:00 PM, David Rust of the Bay Area Mycological Society talks about mycorrhizae, or, how plants and fungi compete and cooperate in their unique symbiotic relationship.
At 8:00 PM, Follow biochemist/mycologist Gordon Walker (aka @fascinatedbyfungi) on Instagram, then come hear stories about the strange fungi he documents and how they’re a key part of next-gen food companies.
At 9:00 PM, Gather ‘round for tales from photographer and mushroom ID specialist Alan Rockefeller as he shares new species of bioluminescent fungi and other recent finds from four months of mushroom-hunting in Mexico.
Mushroom Hunting 101
6 PM – 10 PM
- Learn about what kind of local mushrooms to look for—and which ones to stay far away from with the Bay Area Mycological Society and check out Candace Bever’s (USDA) newly developed test strip that detects the deadliest toxins from mushrooms.
6 PM – 10 PM
- Cultivate your very own mushroom spores to take home with Bay Area Applied Mycology.
Fungus Among Us Showcase
6 pm – 10 pm
- Get up close and personal with mycorrhiza, try a taste of earthy mushroom simple syrups, and even bring photos of your mushrooms to have them ID’d by the experts:
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
How can we study these beneficial microbes that are an essential part of nature? Find out!
Discover what it means to live in today’s connected world with Habitat Earth, narrated by Francis McDormand.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the Academy at night and celebrate SF Pride with pop-up performances featuring the Rice Rockettes!
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Upcoming free virtual events
Tune in for a session dedicated to some of the unique wildlife & ecosystems of Australia.
Celebrate Pride Month with a NightSchool featuring scientists whose queer perspectives are driving new science.
In nature, color is way more than just an aesthetic—learn how it affects the life cycles of countless species.