Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
How-To: Fermentation NightLife
We’re breaking down the science of fermentation, showing you the chemical magic behind cider, mead, cheese, and everything in between.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:00 pm, Make your own golden mead with JCCSF.
- 7:30 pm, Catch a delicious sauerkraut demo from cookbook author Karen Solomon—fermentation, pickling, and jarring expert.
- 8:00 pm, Pick up cider how-to's with Tim Godfrey, head cider maker at Golden State Cider.
- 8:30 pm, Learn how fermented root veggies can be used to create delicious cocktails and appetizers with the talented chefs and bar lead at The Alembic.
(East Pavilion @ Science Today)
- 7:15 pm, Learn the process and origins of the traditional Chinese drink - Kombucha, then try a sample of Health Ade Kombucha.
- 8:15 pm, Catch a demo from the Japanese fermented foods experts at Aeden.
Fermented Foods Lab
- Learn how yeast and fungus make your cheese, tempeh, and pickles so delicious with The San Francisco Microscopical Society.
- Check out an active yeast demo from Stanford graduate student, Ryan Kellog.
- Taste the final fermented product of Health Ade Kombucha and fermented apple and honey from JCCSF's "Delight-catessen."
Music by DJ Mawkus
- The Academy's Osher Rainforest will be closed for updates from September 5-October 12, 2017. We apologize for any inconvenience. The rainforest will re-open on October 13 with a brand new, immersive cave experience and many more exciting updates.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programming schedule and lineup subject to change.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Explore two of today’s greatest cosmic mysteries—dark matter and dark energy!
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Get into costume and come ready to enjoy creepy science specimens, a costume contest, and Halloween drag show!
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Learn about all things luminous in a night of neon, including the science behind neon and the art it inspires.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.