Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
New year can-do: Let NightLife help you be a better you with a night of how-to, hands-on demos, and workshops. Go home armed with both useful crafts and new skills for “adulting.”
Music by Nina Sol
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
How-To: Get Your Money Right
- Get some solid tips and tricks—how to invest, pay down debt, when to splurge—from SoFi's Brian Walsh, CFP®, and go home feeling empowered to make your very own financial plan.
Disclosure: Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. (CFP Board) owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM, CFP® (with plaque design), and CFP® (with flame design) in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
How-To: Brew The Perfect Cup
7:30 & 8:30 PM
Want to make a good cup of coffee at home but don’t have all the coffee gear? Fear not! The pros from Andytown Coffee Roasters will teach you their “hacks” to making a decent cup of coffee without a scale or a burr grinder.
Gather around for a special gator chat led by an Academy presenter where you’ll learn all about Claude (our alligator with albinism), as well as the other inhabitants of our indoor swamp.
Unlocked Art Lab
Gallery, East Pavilion
6 - 10 PM
- Grab a pencil or a brush for another edition of Unlocked Art Lab, where an assortment of fascinating specimens from the Academy’s scientific collections will provide the artistic inspiration you need.
Swamp & Project Lab
6 - 10 PM
- Museum of Craft and Design teaches you simple, satisfying ways to take out less trash, including making beeswax wraps for all your food-fresh needs.
- WorkshopSF shows you how to repair your clothing artfully with sashiko mending, a Japanese embroidery technique for strengthening and lengthening the life of your textiles.
- Learn how to make your own yarn using a drop spindle and raw fibers provided by Little Explorers Petting Zoo.
- Don’t know what your money’s doing, where it is, or where it’s going? Let So-Fi help make this the year you become financially literate.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Think you could pass a third grade astronomy test? How about a fifth grade test?
Travel through space and time to experience the dramatic lives and deaths of stars, narrated by Whoopi Goldberg.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Calling all kaibigan: tropic like it’s hot for a night dedicated to Filipino arts, culture, and science.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore the multicultural—and multispecies—uses of ink. And hey, maybe even get a tattoo.
SF Bazaar is back for a summertime event! Explore indie goods and wares from more than 30 local makers.