Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Go big this week as NightLife gets really, really small to discover the wonderful world of the microscopic. Learn about the latest cutting-edge advances in exploring and explaining the science of small.
Microscopes, Microbes & Mycology
6:00 -10:00pm, Join some of the Bay Area’s cutting-edge labs in checking out teeny-tiny things, including:
- Novozymes - a local company developing sustainable products and bio-enzymes
- Brittney Nguyen, UC Berekeley - DNA of microorganisms
- PrakashLab & Foldscope - Scanning Electron Microscope and Foldscope; a portable origami microscope
- Merritt Microscopy - mushrooms and more, under the microscope!
- San Francisco Microscopical Society - Peek through the microscope to get a close up look
- UCSF’s Turnbaugh Lab - Microbiome
Eureka Comedy Podcast
7:30 & 8:30, For a change of scope, get ready for big laughs with Eureka Comedy Science Show, an interactive show featuring scientists from Indie Bio.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Look to the future with Indie Bio, the world’s largest biotech accelerator, and some of the exciting, promising young companies they’ve helped fund including:
- Animal Biome - Microbiome sequencing and treatments for dogs and cats
- Finless Foods - Growing fish meat from stem cells to save the oceans
- The Not Co - Plant-based dairy products made by combining ingredients on the molecular level
- Sugarlogix - Creating sugars with pre-biotic functions
6:00 - 10:00pm, Put on your amateur entomologist hat and head outside to the garden to explore the amazing world of insects with Save Nature (and maybe even hold a few!).
Music by DJ Bobby McCole (of Pyramid Records)
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Journey through the San Andreas fault, delve into Earth's core & explore the seismic science of earthquakes.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 60,000 live animals.
Santa Claude is comin’ to town! Shop your heart away at our merry marketplace of gift-worthy treasures.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.