Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
This week, NightLife explores the science and beauty of motion in the natural world—and on the dance floor.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
-----> Head to African Hall to test out your best '90s hip hop dance moves with a class taught by ConfiDance studio.
-----> Harness your inner diva with a Beyonce inspired dance class from ConfiDance studio. Your high heels are welcome!
-----> Join a rhythm and motion class from Dudley Flores, instructor and choreographer at Alonzo King LINES Dance Center and ODC School.
Speck: The Golden Record
7:30 & 8:30pm
-----> In the Piazza, choreographer Katerina Wong presents Speck, a dance performance about humans, space exploration, and the connections between the two, using sounds from the Voyager Golden Record and other NASA missions.
6:00 - 10:00pm
-----> Explore human-animal relationships with Humanimal, an interactive projection that lets you communicate with a gorilla.
Science of Movement
6:00 - 10:00pm
-----> Learn about human and robotic movements side-by-side with San Francisco State University’s Department of Kinesiology and hive movements from Academy's Ant Lab.
Enjoy the Night sky
-----> Watch nebulae and galaxies using the new technology Unistellar telescope with SETI Institute Astronomer, Franck Marchis.
Show off you new moves in the Coral Reef with music by Sweater Funk DJs
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programming lineup subject to change.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6 – 9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Journey through the San Andreas fault, delve into Earth's core & explore the seismic science of earthquakes.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Get into costume and come ready to enjoy creepy science specimens, a costume contest, and Halloween drag show!
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Learn about all things luminous in a night of neon, including the science behind neon and the art it inspires.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.