Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Book Fair
Buy ahead to skip the line and save on tickets. 21+.
Books are meant to be read, not banned. Relive the nostalgic memories of a classic book fair, while hearing from a spectrum of diverse literary voices, especially those who have been overlooked and excluded for far too long. We're committed to making these stories accessible to all. Because diversity isn't a choice— it's a fundamental part of life, literature, and even book fairs. Featuring Bay Area book sellers, Drag Story Hour, unexpected character cameos, and more.
Storytelling & Censorship
- Listen in on a fascinating talk with author Maggie Tokuda-Hall as she delves into the story of how her novels, The Mermaid, The Witch, and The Sea and Squad found their way onto the banned book list.
- Get ready to gather 'round for a magical session of drag storytime hosted by the fabulous VERA!. Tune in and hear children's stories, read with flair and heart by VERA!.
6 - 10 PM
Join the Museum of Craft and Design to design your very own bookmark and then find a book to put it in while exploring our book fair and meeting a variety of local booksellers and bibliophiles. Including:
- Comix Experience- Established in 1989, Comix Experience has been faithfully providing the Bay Area with an eclectic collection of comics and graphic novels for over three decades.
- Fabulosa Books- Located in the heart of the Castro, Fabulosa Books specializes in LGBTQ+ literature and proudly runs the BOOKS NOT BANS program, which lets customers buy books to send to LGBTQ+ organizations in places where LGBTQ+ affirming books are banned and villainized.
- Marcus Books- The nation's oldest Black-owned independent bookstore, Marcus Books has become a literary and cultural hallmark that has hosted iconic authors including Toni Morrison, Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, and more.
- San Francisco Public Library (SFPL)- It’s a book-lovers dream: SFPL will be giving away free books all evening! Discover all of their offerings, from e-books to historical archives—you can even sign up to get your very own library card.
- Sour Cherry Comics- San Francisco’s first lesbian-owned comic book store, with a focus on queer-centric comics, books, and graphic novels.
6 - 10 PM
- Exercise your brain with a variety of word games and puzzles, like Bananagrams, Upwords, and Scrabble, brought to you by our friends at Game Parlour.
7 - 9 PM
- See your childhood faves come to life! Meet Clifford the Big Red Dog and tour the museum with The Friz from the Magic School Bus.
- Meet the Friz on the Living Roof at 7pm or in the Philippine Coral Reef at 7:30pm
- Clifford the Big Red Dog will be roaming, but should be fairly easy to spot…
At The Bars/Grab N go
- Cheese & Charcuterie Box - $12
- Spicy coppa. prosciutto. salami. cheddar & pepperjack cubes. grapes. everything cracker.
Pizza Station (in Cafe)
- BBQ Chicken Pizza - $11
- Red onion, pineapple, mozzarella, tomato sauce
- Truffle Mac n Cheese - $12
- Cavatappi, truffle bechamel, breadcrumbs
Grill (in Cafe)
- Franks & Beans - $10
- Baked beans, sliced grilled hotdog
- Fish Sticks - $10
- Breaded pollock, tartar sauce
- Popcorn Chicken - $10
- Chicken breast fritters, popcorn
- Sloppy Joe Dog - $10
- Niman ranch beef hotdog, ground beef, sweet tomato sauce, onion, cheese, sesame hotdog bun
- Sloppy Joe - $16
- Ground beef, sweet tomato sauce, onion, sesame acme bun
- NightLife guests are no longer required to provide proof of full vaccination or a recent negative test. We still strongly encourage all guests to stay up-to-date on their vaccinations, and to mask up indoors. As always, if you’re feeling under the weather, please NightLife another time. View health and safety information here.
- Please note: The rainforest will be closed for infrastructure maintenance during this event.
- Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, planetarium passes are required and capacity is limited. Passes are available online in advance for an additional $5 while supplies last to reserve a seat at a 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, or 9:30 pm planetarium show. Please see our FAQs for more details. (Please note: A limited number of standby seats will be available for all showtimes as space allows on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium.)
- Beverages are available at various bars throughout the building, but food must be enjoyed outdoors or in the Academy Café only.
- NightLife is for adults 21+ only. Valid, physical photo ID required.
- Still have Qs? See our FAQs here.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Santa Claude is comin’ to town! Shop your heart away at our merry marketplace of gift-worthy treasures.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.