Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife in Space: Other Earths
Other Earths are out there, and tonight, NightLife enlists scientific experts to talk about the missions and spacecrafts currently on the search for exoplanets and life beyond Earth.
Music by DJ Masha Martinovic
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Talks: Begin Transmission
- At 7:00 PM, Join us as Maren Hunsberger (Seeker) interviews Dr. Liz Warren of the International Space Station U.S. National Laboratory to learn about the I.S.S.’s unique extreme environment for a variety of sciences and research.
- At 8:00 PM, Find out what Earth’s own extremophiles can teach us about what other-worldly life forms might be like with a talk from NASA astrobiologist Penny Boston.
- At 9:00 PM, Catch a talk from Franck Marchis of the SETI Institute on what it takes to detect and characterize exoplanets.
Live Talk: New Worlds
Learn about the formation of exoplanet systems with Megan Ansdell, postdoc at UC Berkeley’s Center for Integrative Planet Studies (CIPS).
The View From Here
8:00 - 10:00 PM
Ever stare off into space? Try doing it with Unistellar's new eVscope, a first-of-its-kind compact telescope that provides crisp and detailed views of galaxies, nebulae, and comets thanks to its light-amplification technology.
Other Earths Showcase
- Learn about NASA’s Ames Center for Exoplanet Studies and hear from UC Berkeley researcher Victor Reyes-Umana on how anaerobic microbes on Earth might actually mimic life in extraterrestrial environments.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Join Senior Planetarium Presenter Mary Holt to explore Mars and its past, current, and future robot inhabitants.
Leave Planet Earth behind as you fly to the farthest reaches of the Universe! Narrated by Sigourney Weaver.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 60,000 live animals.
Santa Claude is comin’ to town! Shop your heart away at our merry marketplace of gift-worthy treasures.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.