Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Noise Pop NightLife
Spend an evening exploring the science of sound as NightLife kicks off the Noise Pop Music and Arts Festival with a headlining DJ set by Washed Out and opening sets by Bad Girl Bailey and femmelectric.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
6:00-7:15pm, Opening set by femmelectric
7:15-8:15pm, Opening set by SF-based Bad Girl Bailey
8:15-9:45pm, Headlining set by Washed Out
Washed Out is the recording name of chillwave pioneer Ernest Greene, best known for launching the synth-heavy, bedroom-pop sound of the early 2010s, and whose song, “Feel It All Around,” graced the opening credits of Portlandia.
7:00-10:00 pm, Grab a pair of headphones down in the aquarium for a silent disco with DJ Kayvon (7-9pm) and DJ Connor Griffith (9-10pm).
Noise Pop Fest Showcase
- Learn how to DJ with Fingersnaps Media Arts, a creative and educational DJ studio located in the heart of the Mission.
- Test illustrator Nigel Sussman’s imagination with your "party animal" request for him to draw.
- Feast your eyes on poster art at a mini pop-up art gallery with Lil Tuffy
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
NightLife honors the historic and groundbreaking Vortex series with immersive new visual and sonic creations.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the Academy at night and celebrate SF Pride with pop-up performances featuring the Rice Rockettes!
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Upcoming free virtual events
Tune in for a session dedicated to some of the unique wildlife & ecosystems of Australia.
Celebrate Pride Month with a NightSchool featuring scientists whose queer perspectives are driving new science.
In nature, color is way more than just an aesthetic—learn how it affects the life cycles of countless species.