Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Women in Science NightLife
NightLife is celebrating International Women’s Day by handing over the mic and giving the spotlight to women in science.
Music by Lady Ryan
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Talks: Women in Science
- At 7:30, Catch a live talk from Dr. Natalie Rens, neuroscientist, artificial intelligence strategist and self-proclaimed space nerd, to learn about her cutting edge work with AI and space travel.
- At 8:30, Alie Ward of the Ologies podcast hosts an insightful discussion on what it’s like and what it means to be a woman in science with Dr. Shannon Bennett, the Academy’s Chief of Science; Dr. Desiré Whitmore, Senior Physics Educator at the Exploratorium; Dr. Mónica Feliú-Mójer, Director of Communications and Science Outreach for CienciaPR; and Dr. Sima Bouzid, data scientist at Invitae.
Experience: Science Meets Art
Learn about research emerging out of Joshua Tree National Park with a short pop-up talk and a hands-on printmaking activity from Dr. Juniper Harrower, who specializes in studying species interactions under climate change and runs SymbioArtlab, an environmental arts production company linking art and science.
Women in Science Showcase
Project & Swamp
Check out fascinating specimens from the Academy’s scientific collections and the history of those built and stewarded by women.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Get to know the wolf, one of North America’s most iconic terrestrial mammals and important predators.
Hear thrilling tales of how scientists go to great lengths to get answers to their questions.
Join us for an evening exploring the science of gray whales and their annual 10,000-mile journey.