Be the first to hear about Academy field trips, upcoming workshops, and special offers by joining our email list.
Borrow a kit full of hands-on science materials to use in your classroom! Available for grades K-12, kits include lesson plans, educational games, specimens, books, DVDs, and more.
What are Classroom Kits?
Kits are portable suitcases filled with all the materials you need to do fun, engaging science activities in your classroom. You can rent them for 3 weeks at a time, picking up your kit at the museum and returning it at any point before the due date. Classroom kits include complete lesson plans, specimens, background information, hands-on activities, educational games, books, DVDs, and more!
Classroom Kit Menu - options for grades K - 12
- Astronomy Kit (grades 5 - 8)
- Coral Reefs - Science & Conservation (grades 3 - 7)
- Evolution (grades 7 - 12)
- Geology (grades 2 - 5)
- Geology (grades 6 - 12)
- Owl Pellets and Beyond (grades K - 8)
- Rainforests of the World (grades K - 3)
- Rainforests of the World (grades 4 - 8)
- Skulls: A Study in Structure and Function (grades K - 8)
How do I get trained to use the classroom kits?
Pre-scheduled Teacher Workshops
Each school year we offer a select number of pre-scheduled workshops that you can sign up for. Here are the 2017 workshop dates:
- Coral Kit Training (Grades 3-7), Saturday, November 4, 2017: 8:30am - 12:30pm
- Skulls Kit Training (Grades K-8), Tuesday, November 14, 2017: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Rainforest Kit Training (Grades K-3), Saturday, December 2, 2017: 8:30am - 12:30pm
- Evolution (Grades 7-12), Saturday, December 9, 2017: 8:30am - 12:30pm
Teacher Workshops by Request
Can't attend the pre-scheduled workshop? Want a workshop for a different kit? We will work with you to try to schedule the workshop of your choice at a time that works for all of us.
- We require a minimum of 5 teachers to do a special workshop.
- Cost: $25/teacher
- Interested? Fill out this form.
How does the Classroom Kit Program Work?
Who is eligible to rent a kit?
Educators who have participated in a workshop for a kit are eligible to rent one. Sign up for a workshop for the kit you are interested in! During the workshop you will participate in the kit activities, explore the science content, and learn about methods for using the materials to engage students in science.
Okay, I'm trained in my preferred kit. How can I reserve it today?
Call (877) 227-3311 to make a kit reservation. Once the kit is reserved, you can pick it up at the California Academy of Sciences and return it to us 3 weeks later. The lending fee is $25 for three weeks.
Do the kits support any standards?
Yes, most of our kits support implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Science is brought to life through engaging opportunities for hands-on learning. We are in the process of updating each kit for the NGSS.