Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Music by DJ Andy Cabic (of Vetiver)
DJs presented by San Francisco Magazine
Explore the mysteries beyond our solar system with a night dedicated to the search for extraterrestrials.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
At 7 pm, Grab a seat for a mini-TED talk from Andrew Helton, Instrument Scientist at SOFIA (Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy).
At 9 pm, Stay for a live panel discussion with experts from METI (Messaging Extra Terrestrial Intelligence with Ariel Waldman, Dave Messerschmitt, Laura Welcher, Doug Vakoch, and Mike Matessa. Moderated by Dalia Rawson.
Across the Universe
- From 6 pm - 8:30 pm, Take the wheel yourself and tour the universe with the Academy's own Planetarium presenters.
- At 8:30 pm, Stop by for a live talk on exoplanets and how we discover them from Howard Isaacson from the Berkeley SETI Research Center.
6p - 10p
Travel back through time and space with VR experiences presented by Underground Engine, a collective of artists, scientists, and technologists.
6p - 10p
Chat with experts from SOFIA (Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy), the largest airborne observatory in the world, capable of making observations that are impossible for even the largest and highest ground-based telescopes.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Finding proof of life beyond Earth could be one of the most profound discoveries in human history
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Hear the latest on the Academy's cutting-edge biodiversity research and global—and local—conservation efforts.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore Pop-Up Magazine’s FIELD GUIDE audio experience + art project made for & inspired by the world around us.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
For adults 21+.